2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive to transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:56 PM
ison56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive to transmission problems

hello (yall can call me ison)
i have a 02 dodge 2500 v8 5.9l 4x4
it has a 46re transmission

i recently broke my overdrive in my truck. so as a truck guy i dove into this project blindfolded. i pulled everything out of the truck except for the motor. bought a used overdrive from a local parts guy.

problem im facing is when i was trying to put the overdrive section back into the tail shaft of the transmission, i found the it wouldnt makeup all the way. i was lacking a 1/4in to set it perfectly flush to the trans. i gave the overdrive section a good look down and the only thing i noticed was the years stamped on the overdrive was different. i asked the parts guy and he said the the overdrive will work i just have to take it to a transmission shop. he said that they have to Aline it a special way and there is no way for your anyone to just slap them together.

i dont believe him, is there any info anyone could give me maybe help fix my problem?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ison56
hello (yall can call me ison)
i have a 02 dodge 2500 v8 5.9l 4x4
it has a 46re transmission

i recently broke my overdrive in my truck. so as a truck guy i dove into this project blindfolded. i pulled everything out of the truck except for the motor. bought a used overdrive from a local parts guy.

problem im facing is when i was trying to put the overdrive section back into the tail shaft of the transmission, i found the it wouldnt makeup all the way. i was lacking a 1/4in to set it perfectly flush to the trans. i gave the overdrive section a good look down and the only thing i noticed was the years stamped on the overdrive was different. i asked the parts guy and he said the the overdrive will work i just have to take it to a transmission shop. he said that they have to Aline it a special way and there is no way for your anyone to just slap them together.

i dont believe him, is there any info anyone could give me maybe help fix my problem?
There is no special way he's lying. According to another member on here who tried to do the same is there was a difference in length for the od housing. He disappeared though before we got pictures.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 PM
ison56

that is all i needed to know. thanks man! ill post up on my progress! just in case someone has the same problem!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

that is all i needed to know. thanks man! ill post up on my progress! just in case someone has the same problem!
I personally don't see how they would be different unless the od unit was from a RF and your tranny was a RE or vise versa

Old 08-09-2018, 12:12 AM
ison56

hey just a little update>
I found a overdrive unit that came out of a 2000 model ram. i took my tail shaft out of the 46re transmission and it slid in perfectly! i did have to use a 2X4 to tap it in just for motivation. but that was the problem! from my trial and error i can concluded that a overdrive unit out of a 97-98 model ram will not fit in a 00-01 46re transmission! i have no clue why tbh. i do know that in that year change the location of the overtrive button moved from the dash to the gear selector! i probably should have looked into it more but i didnt and its all back in the truck so lol. i just thought i might share what i found out

Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

hey just a little update>
I found a overdrive unit that came out of a 2000 model ram. i took my tail shaft out of the 46re transmission and it slid in perfectly! i did have to use a 2X4 to tap it in just for motivation. but that was the problem! from my trial and error i can concluded that a overdrive unit out of a 97-98 model ram will not fit in a 00-01 46re transmission! i have no clue why tbh. i do know that in that year change the location of the overtrive button moved from the dash to the gear selector! i probably should have looked into it more but i didnt and its all back in the truck so lol. i just thought i might share what i found out
Good to know! They are exactly the same transmission (other then connectors inside changing) so I personally don't see why it wouldn't work. Glad you got it figured out!

Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The park rod is usually the issue if you don't disconnect it from the rooster comb.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 AM
ison56

Originally Posted by Moparite
The park rod is usually the issue if you don't disconnect it from the rooster comb.
were is that located at?

Quick Reply: overdrive to transmission problems