2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Really? Like what?
Misfires, too easy to foul out, and once fouled, they never fire again.

I had a wood chipper, with a 318 industrial engine. It ran great one day while testing, but, at the job site, after about 30 minutes, it started missing and stuttering to beat the band...... Pulled the plugs. Champions....... Installed some AC/Delco plugs, and it ran great the rest of the time we used it.... (several years.)

When I was working as a tech at a small shop, when we had a car come in for misfires/performance issues, first thing we checked was the brand of plugs. (even if the owner told us he 'just changed them, and it didn't help'. More often than not, we found champion plugs, and replacing them solved the issues.

Even in small engines..... tractors, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. Champion plugs have always been problematic for me.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Misfires, too easy to foul out, and once fouled, they never fire again.

I had a wood chipper, with a 318 industrial engine. It ran great one day while testing, but, at the job site, after about 30 minutes, it started missing and stuttering to beat the band...... Pulled the plugs. Champions....... Installed some AC/Delco plugs, and it ran great the rest of the time we used it.... (several years.)

When I was working as a tech at a small shop, when we had a car come in for misfires/performance issues, first thing we checked was the brand of plugs. (even if the owner told us he 'just changed them, and it didn't help'. More often than not, we found champion plugs, and replacing them solved the issues.

Even in small engines..... tractors, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. Champion plugs have always been problematic for me.
We never had any problems but never say never :b I wish our trucks would take iridium plugs

Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

We never had any problems but never say never :b I wish our trucks would take iridium plugs
I had a CR80R when I was a kid. Champions would foul out in 2 or 3 days, NGKs would last 2-3 weeks. So then I started paying attention and NGK and AC Delco last longer in all my stuff.

From what I've read, the rare earth plugs last longer but require more energy to make a spark. If you went with high quality wires and coil you could probably use them. Relocating the coil closer to the distributor might help also.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 2bit
I had a CR80R when I was a kid. Champions would foul out in 2 or 3 days, NGKs would last 2-3 weeks. So then I started paying attention and NGK and AC Delco last longer in all my stuff.

From what I've read, the rare earth plugs last longer but require more energy to make a spark. If you went with high quality wires and coil you could probably use them. Relocating the coil closer to the distributor might help also.
I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out.
Our coil has less soak time because it's firing 8 cylinders. Newer vehicles have a coil for two cylinders or a coil for each cylinder. They have a lot more time to build the field before it collapses and makes the spark.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/diag...l-diagnostics/

Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Our coil has less soak time because it's firing 8 cylinders. Newer vehicles have a coil for two cylinders or a coil for each cylinder. They have a lot more time to build the field before it collapses and makes the spark.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/diag...l-diagnostics/
I thought about going to the MSD ignition box. Also in the process of swapping a 1200hp Hemi into one of my other 2nd gens

Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Talking

I thought about going to the MSD ignition box. Also in the process of swapping a 1200hp Hemi into one of my other 2nd gens
Pictures !!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Pictures !!!!!!!
The engine is still being built lol. As it is naturally inspired no turbos or superchargers. Also need to build the tranny up probably won't be for another year but I plan on doing a write up!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:57 AM
tdvs38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe how difficult it is to try to post a new question on this forum, So I guess I will ask here. I just tried to remove my starter, got the bolt out and the nut off the stud. Is there a third bolt ? Doesn't look like there is but limited on the view. I beat banged pried to no avail. Anyone ever have this issue ?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by tdvs38
I can't believe how difficult it is to try to post a new question on this forum, So I guess I will ask here. I just tried to remove my starter, got the bolt out and the nut off the stud. Is there a third bolt ? Doesn't look like there is but limited on the view. I beat banged pried to no avail. Anyone ever have this issue ?
There is a "New Thread" button in the upper left. Not that difficult. Telling us what you drive would be a good idea too.

Quick Reply: Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9.