2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moving Mechanical Fan Forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you still have it, it should be somewhere above the rear axle...... rear brake line goes into it, it'll have a linkage going down to the axle. I think dodge only used it for a year or so, then decided it was a bad idea. (which it was.....)
Had one on my 2000. I removed it, and replaced the hose with one off a 2004 I had laying around - it was a bit longer. When I had the rear lines made, had them put metric connectors on the center portion so its compatible with the new hose.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

+1 on the electric fan conversion, there is a sticky that has DIY direction/parts list somewhere on here.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you still have it, it should be somewhere above the rear axle...... rear brake line goes into it, it'll have a linkage going down to the axle. I think dodge only used it for a year or so, then decided it was a bad idea. (which it was.....)
No linkage anywhere on the rear axle so I must not have it. What was the purpose of it? I missed your post
Originally Posted by fj5gtx
+1 on the electric fan conversion, there is a sticky that has DIY direction/parts list somewhere on here.
Do you think it'll keep up with the towing? Saw a post on the Cummins forum that had very valid points on why not to do the conversion

Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No linkage anywhere on the rear axle so I must not have it. What was the purpose of it? I missed your post

Do you think it'll keep up with the towing? Saw a post on the Cummins forum that had very valid points on why not to do the conversion
It was extra proportioning for the rear brakes, based on squat. There was a bar going down to the bracket for the rear sway bar, that would act as an actuator for the valve at the end of the main rear brake line (right before going to the brake hose).

I think it'd keep up with towing, if you put two on and appropriate baffling so you pull the air through the rad - but I have not empirical data to prove it. The key to towing is keeping that transmission cool, and if you're towing really heavy stuff, I'd focus on getting a good large cooler and making sure you pull air through it.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:56 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

It was extra proportioning for the rear brakes, based on squat. There was a bar going down to the bracket for the rear sway bar, that would act as an actuator for the valve at the end of the main rear brake line (right before going to the brake hose).

I think it'd keep up with towing, if you put two on and appropriate baffling so you pull the air through the rad - but I have not empirical data to prove it. The key to towing is keeping that transmission cool, and if you're towing really heavy stuff, I'd focus on getting a good large cooler and making sure you pull air through it.
I'll do more research on the e fans. What year taurus do I pull the fans from? Never seen it heard if they brake valve, which is weird

Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Here is a diagram of the rear valving. I will probably have need to replace the proportioning valve up front so I get the right pressure to the rear, but just haven't got around to it yet.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I suspect you can find an all-aluminum radiator for the V-10 equipped trucks.
I've never been able to find one. If anyone knows of someone that has them, I would greatly appriciate it. I'd like to have one at some point, and if one can't be found, I maybe looking into about some custom work to fit one. Cant Imagine it would be too difficult with some welding and bracket fabs.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:14 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a diagram of the rear valving.
I always wondered what the deal was with that thing on the diff. Learn something every day.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:19 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'll do more research on the e fans. What year taurus do I pull the fans from?
I was referring to this DIY... you should be able to build your own housing out of aluminum, and the fans and controller are available, new, from everywhere.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...an-setups.html

Last edited by fj5gtx; 07-21-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I was referring to this DIY... you should be able to build your own housing out of aluminum, and the fans and controller are available, new, from everywhere.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...an-setups.html
I have two controllers already and have the shroud just need the fans. I be will give it a read.

Quick Reply: Moving Mechanical Fan Forward