2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moving Mechanical Fan Forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Moving Mechanical Fan Forward

I want to move the mechanical fan forward (towards the rad), and my idea is get some all thread and just using a wide nut attach it to the water pump and using the nut already on the fan to the all thread. Why would he do this you might ask, it's simple so I can get rid of the big ugly fan shroud and put in a 5" wide chrome one. What are your thoughts? Thought about e-fans but I tow with my truck and don't trust them.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

It would likely lead to accelerated wear on the water pump..... giving the pump shaft a longer lever arm for the fan to work on.... any (even minor) imbalance would be amplified the the longer shaft...... You would have little to no warning if it decided to come apart either...... it would just suddenly launch that fan into whatever happened to be nearby...... like, the radiator....... Keep in mind, the pump turns in a direction that makes the fan assembly want to screw itself on tighter....... using a nut as an adapter...... the spinning engine would be trying to UNSCREW that section......... (at the union from extension, to w/p)

I don't think you would care for the results.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It would likely lead to accelerated wear on the water pump..... giving the pump shaft a longer lever arm for the fan to work on.... any (even minor) imbalance would be amplified the the longer shaft...... You would have little to no warning if it decided to come apart either...... it would just suddenly launch that fan into whatever happened to be nearby...... like, the radiator....... Keep in mind, the pump turns in a direction that makes the fan assembly want to screw itself on tighter....... using a nut as an adapter...... the spinning engine would be trying to UNSCREW that section......... (at the union from extension, to w/p)

I don't think you would care for the results.
I need to figure out how to get the fan forward then, because I want that ugly shroud gone . Didn't think of that good thinking! Also who doesn't like a fan in the radiator?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I need to figure out how to get the fan forward then, because I want that ugly shroud gone . Didn't think of that good thinking! Also who doesn't like a fan in the radiator?
Well, it tends to interfere with a vehicles utility......

Go electric. Grab a couple Ford Taurus fans. They move a LOT of air, are durable, and last just about forever.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well, it tends to interfere with a vehicles utility......

Go electric. Grab a couple Ford Taurus fans. They move a LOT of air, are durable, and last just about forever.
I tow and heard about things about e-fans while towing.... I might upgrade to the V10 truck fan for better cooling. Nobody makes a wide enough chrome shroud to keep the fan in its place right now

Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could go to the V-10 radiator as well.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Could go to the V-10 radiator as well.
True but I have to figure out my brakes first. They completely went out the other day. So I had to turn in my emergency lights and siren (I'm a paramedic) to get people it off the way. No leaks and fluid kennel didn't change

Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Blew the master cylinder?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Blew the master cylinder?
I don't think because I now have brakes like before this incident happened not good, but average

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's just weird. I wonder if whatever was stuck, cam unstuck...

Do you still have the load-sensing valve on the rear brakes? Or have you already bypassed that?

Quick Reply: Moving Mechanical Fan Forward