2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moving Mechanical Fan Forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

To alleviate your possible cooling issue when towing, install an all-aluminum CSF 2969 radiator. This style radiator uses a higher pressure radiator cap and is all-aluminum and is a direct fit in the truck. It keeps my truck running nice and cool, even when towing. This radiator is still available in-stock, if you do a bit of searching. For more information, check out this thread - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html

Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's just weird. I wonder if whatever was stuck, cam unstuck...

Do you still have the load-sensing valve on the rear brakes? Or have you already bypassed that?
I am going to say I think I have it as I have no idea where that is or heard if that

Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
To alleviate your possible cooling issue when towing, install an all-aluminum CSF 2969 radiator. This style radiator uses a higher pressure radiator cap and is all-aluminum and is a direct fit in the truck. It keeps my truck running nice and cool, even when towing. This radiator is still available in-stock, if you do a bit of searching. For more information, check out this thread - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html
I thought about getting that one! But I overload my truck and need the maximum cooling available. Do they make an all aluminum rad for the V-10 trucks? I have a brand new Rad, new clutch for the fan, and two 7000CFM helper fans in the front (A/C condensor is out at the moment due to a tree smashing it) and still overheat going up a local steep hill when towing 16,500lbs behind the truck. Well that was before I installed all these extras. I mostly want the stock fan closer to the rad to install an aftermarket chrome shroud to dress the engine up. I would go to all e fans but honestly don't trust them enough to tie with them. Also I heard that aluminum rads tens to oxidize is that true?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I am going to say I think I have it as I have no idea where that is or heard if that
If you still have it, it should be somewhere above the rear axle...... rear brake line goes into it, it'll have a linkage going down to the axle. I think dodge only used it for a year or so, then decided it was a bad idea. (which it was.....)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running the TCP electric fan set up. I doubt it would have any problem keeping your truck cool while towing. Only down sides are the electric fans are noisy (only really an issue in drive through's) and the fan controller the kit comes with is garbage. Buy a Dakota Digital controller and never look back!
Besides, the drag removed from the lack of a mechanical fan makes the truck feel much peppier.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by jlake4130
im running the TCP electric fan set up. I doubt it would have any problem keeping your truck cool while towing. Only down sides are the electric fans are noisy (only really an issue in drive through's) and the fan controller the kit comes with is garbage. Buy a Dakota Digital controller and never look back!
Besides, the drag removed from the lack of a mechanical fan makes the truck feel much peppier.
I'll look into them, thanks!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

I thought about getting that one! But I overload my truck and need the maximum cooling available. Do they make an all aluminum rad for the V-10 trucks? I have a brand new Rad, new clutch for the fan, and two 7000CFM helper fans in the front (A/C condensor is out at the moment due to a tree smashing it) and still overheat going up a local steep hill when towing 16,500lbs behind the truck. Well that was before I installed all these extras. I mostly want the stock fan closer to the rad to install an aftermarket chrome shroud to dress the engine up. I would go to all e fans but honestly don't trust them enough to tie with them. Also I heard that aluminum rads tens to oxidize is that true?
I suspect you can find an all-aluminum radiator for the V-10 equipped trucks. You can check with http://www.alumorad.com/ to see what they might have and also do some Google searches. As for oxidation, I have not experienced any issues with that - keep in mind that your existing radiator has an aluminum core with plastic tanks. In my humble opinion, they used the plastic tanks to cut costs and create planned obsolescence. All-aluminum radiators are repairable, as long as trees don't fall on them.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I suspect you can find an all-aluminum radiator for the V-10 equipped trucks. You can check with http://www.alumorad.com/ to see what they might have and also do some Google searches. As for oxidation, I have not experienced any issues with that - keep in mind that your existing radiator has an aluminum core with plastic tanks. In my humble opinion, they used the plastic tanks to cut costs and create planned obsolescence. All-aluminum radiators are repairable, as long as trees don't fall on them.
With the deer around here I might make a radiator out of titanium then plate it with 2in steel

Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

With the deer around here I might make a radiator out of titanium then plate it with 2in steel
Suicidal deer? They don't just stand and stare at you while you come barrelling down the road to turn them into a greasy spot on the road, they call their buds out as well. They figure that one of them doesn't stand a chance, but, a dozen of them can total your truck, and most will walk away. (snickering......)

Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Don't know about the deer where you are, but in this area, we have many suicidal deer, many of which are quite large. They are quite good at inflicting major damage to vehicles, many times totaling the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Moving Mechanical Fan Forward