2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans or Motor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Can’t dodge it then Ram it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the pcm fault codes and I got three codes, 12,34,45. If i looked them up right 12 (direct battery input to PCM disconnected within last 50 ignition key on cycles. Normal if the battery has been disconnected , otherwise check battery power and ground connections) any idea where is a good spot to start looking for a bad ground or could a old battery give this code it’s 5/6 years old. 34 speed control circuit or speed control switch always high or low ( An open or short in the speed control vacuum or vent circuits. Speed control switch input above or below normal range). 45 Trans OD solenoid circuit ( Transmission OD solenoid circuit failure. Open or short in the transmission overdrive solenoid circuit ) Any ideas on if P1763 is from code 45 or vice versa. And if so Tightening the bands and replacing the solenoids will make the codes go away?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

12 Don't worry about it.

34 Need to see what voltage you are getting on the return wire from the cruise switch. Might just be bad switches.

45 Might be a bad solenoid...... fun to test, as the connector goes straight down into the trans, so, testing resistance across the solenoid is challenging......

Old 07-25-2018, 09:27 AM

Can I use a power probe or do I need a voltage meter and what wires do I check for the cruise switch and how Challenging is it to check? Can I do this with the truck in the ground and any chance you can find a how to video do i know what to check on the trans?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM

I’m getting a 5.0v from one wire and 13.4v with a different wire, the 13.4 is the battery but I have no idea what the 5.0v are from/for and should I have for then wires with voltage coming through?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM feeds a five volt signal to the cruise switches. The switches modify that signal, and return it to the pcm. Connector 137,(at pcm, I *think* the one closest to the passenger fender.) cavity 11 is voltage feed, cavity 32 is signal return (red, with light green trace.... maybe. I am using the 96 manual.). See what you are getting on the return wire.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM

If that is the correct wire (Red with light green trace). I’m getting a 5.0 volts from the wire at the pcm, when the cruise is on and off. I checked the servo and I’m getting normal battery voltage, no volts for ground and I’m getting 6.8 volts on 2 wides when the cruise is on or off. Have a strong vacuum and just replaced the servo with one out a junkyard truck. There is a click feeling when you turn the cruise on and off, don’t know if that’s how it should be or not. Don’t know anyone personally that has the same truck to compare. Anything else I should do?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Download the 96 service manual from here. See what voltage on that wire should be with no buttons being pushed. ( suspect it's supposed to be zero.....) Another option would be to have someone push a button while you monitor voltage. It *should* change. If it doesn't, you either have bad switches, bad clockspring, or a short elsewhere in the system.

Quick Reply: Trans or Motor problem?