2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oily air filter diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet

Not exactly sure what your asking. I’ll pull the breather hose(the one that goes from driver valve cover to top of “the hat”) off tomorrow and give it a look.
He's asking does it look oily? Does it not feel like rubber? Oil would saturate that filter (all black) where that still is clean in certain places.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet

Not exactly sure what your asking.
I was mostly wondering what the substance was on the filter and what the air intake tube looked like as far as being dirty also. Disregard where I asked if that was the throttle body side....I was confused for minute about the intake setup with the PCV and all that good stuff.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:48 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racefan41
I was mostly wondering what the substance was on the filter and what the air intake tube looked like as far as being dirty also. Disregard where I asked if that was the throttle body side....I was confused for minute about the intake setup with the PCV and all that good stuff.
I don’t really know what the substance on the filter is exactly. Oily, but really not really black oil.

Air intake tube tube is clean. There is quite a bit of oily dirt residue around the rubber grommet where it enters the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Oily air filter diagnosis