2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oily air filter diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oily air filter diagnosis

What causes this? I’ve been too busy replacing ball joints, radiators, and transmission to mess around with paltry items like air filters. 😀

Additionally, what I am hoping to glean from this post is some education on airflow as it relates to the breather hose and PCV valve.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check the PCV system. The hose going to the air box is supposed to be the INTAKE side of the system. (for air going INTO the crankcase, not coming out.....)

Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

My breather hose is in constant sunction from valve cover to the air box. The vacuum from the manifold sucks new air into the filter and also relieves any pressure from the driver side valve cover while also sucking the PCV valve from the passenger. The breather hose is up stream of the filter (above) while the PCV is downstream (below at intake) so any oil vapor coming from the hose is absorbed into the filter. I have found an oily residue before but what the OP posted is insane! And on the wrong side!

Old 08-04-2018, 02:41 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

How does the other side looks like? I've had filters on my Cummins looking just like that, and it's been nothing but dirt, dust and water combined. Other side has been clean, as it should be.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:46 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the PCV system. The hose going to the air box is supposed to be the INTAKE side of the system. (for air going INTO the crankcase, not coming out.....)
PCV was good. (i.e., it ratttled and sucked air.) I noticed a lot of oily residue on the inside of the pipe stub that sticks out of the side of intake manifold.

Last edited by aggiejet; 08-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:57 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you put that filter in the truck as a new one, or is that the first time you've seen the filter since buying the truck? Does the truck have any running/idling issues?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
How does the other side looks like? I've had filters on my Cummins looking just like that, and it's been nothing but dirt, dust and water combined. Other side has been clean, as it should be.

other side was pretty good. The oily nature of that blacks stuff caught my eye. I really don’t understand it.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:38 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by racefan41
Did you put that filter in the truck as a new one, or is that the first time you've seen the filter since buying the truck? Does the truck have any running/idling issues?

I put that filter in as new, I can’t remember when. I’m the one and only owner of this truck. My maintenance records got shoddy last couple of years cause I thought the ****box Dodge was heading for the grand beyond. 😀

Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does the air tube leading up the the hat look/feel like? Kind of weird the way you can see clean fins in between the gunk. Seems like oil would saturate it all black.

And that's on the throttle body side? Not sure how the hat setup is.

Last edited by racefan41; 08-04-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by racefan41
What does the air tube leading up the the hat look/feel like? Kind of weird the way you can see clean fins in between the gunk. Seems like oil would saturate it all black.

And that's on the throttle body side? Not sure how the hat setup is.

Not exactly sure what your asking. I’ll pull the breather hose(the one that goes from driver valve cover to top of “the hat”) off tomorrow and give it a look.

Quick Reply: Oily air filter diagnosis