2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Line Flare

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Nickel-copper lines can be had relatively cheaply, easy to bend, and don't really corrode like steel lines.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nickel-copper lines can be had relatively cheaply, easy to bend, and don't really corrode like steel lines.
If you are buy pre-bent, Stainless or Steel is typical choice. Local parts stores sell the nickel copper, and if you've got to bend your own - I recommend that material since its so easy to work with. By the time I buy everything I need to do the whole vehicle, typically the pre-bent kits are a good deal. I've got a couple rolls of the NiCopp... I should put those up on eBay, I doubt I'll have use for those anytime soon.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah buying pre-bent would be a lot easier. I will have to do that next time (Or if the double flare doesn't hold). I havn't gotten out there to try the double flare yet. Its been very rainy and muggy in NY these past few days.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaldir
Yeah buying pre-bent would be a lot easier. I will have to do that next time (Or if the double flare doesn't hold). I havn't gotten out there to try the double flare yet. Its been very rainy and muggy in NY these past few days.
The only downside to lines you have to bend is they are always to long, at least in my case.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The only downside to lines you have to bend is they are always to long, at least in my case.
I have a tubing cutter, and flaring tools, so, it's nothing to make up the lines I need. (probably because I have been doing it that way for just this side of forever.....) I would love to have one of the really cool HYDRAULIC flaring tools...... but, I just don't do it often enough any more to justify the expense.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have a tubing cutter, and flaring tools, so, it's nothing to make up the lines I need. (probably because I have been doing it that way for just this side of forever.....) I would love to have one of the really cool HYDRAULIC flaring tools...... but, I just don't do it often enough any more to justify the expense.
I have the cutter but not the flaring tool. Always wanted one but the Ms. says no

Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I got the rest of the flaring kit that I needed, mainly the small black adapters to make a single flare. I took off the two lines, and did the double flare 4 times. I messed up a few, so I cut a little off the end to start fresh. Hardest part is that I do this work from my apartments driveway, and I don't have a bench vice right near me, so I have to flare them while holding the kit, which can cause bending.

Anyway, they didn't look too pretty, but they did get the job done. And I have zero leaks at the 4 connect points and my truck once again stops. Now on to the next item that needs to be fixed.

As always thanks for all the advise guys.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Congrats! Glad you stuck with it and got the truck back on the road.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:45 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I have the cutter but not the flaring tool. Always wanted one but the Ms. says no
you can always keep an eye out to buy one second hand. i got my snap on double flaring tool that is identical to my dads which i learned to make lines with for $10. i knew what it was the moment i saw the case and beat my brother in law to buying it. some people don't know what they have so you can sometimes get a pretty good deal. just avoid buying a cheap one unless you get desperate. the cheap ones are hard to get a nice consistent flare out of.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you can always keep an eye out to buy one second hand. i got my snap on double flaring tool that is identical to my dads which i learned to make lines with for $10. i knew what it was the moment i saw the case and beat my brother in law to buying it. some people don't know what they have so you can sometimes get a pretty good deal. just avoid buying a cheap one unless you get desperate. the cheap ones are hard to get a nice consistent flare out of.
I'm always looking, just never find them lol

Quick Reply: Brake Line Flare