2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 Parking Brake Adjustment

Going by the service manual:
Fully apply Parking Brakes and leave brakes applied until adjustment is complete.
Mark Tensioner Rod 6.5 mm(1/4 in.) from edge of tensioner bracket.
Tighten adjusting nut at equalizer until mark on tensioner rod moves into alignment with tensioner bracket

Trying this method I have the cables tight enough to play a tune on them and the mark isn't moving into position.
Any suggestions ?
New Rear park brake cables, new break shoes , wheel cylinders - everything cleaned ,lubed and brakes adjusted.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Not sure how much force they want on the e-brake to consider it 'fully engaged'. My thoughts are, if you have as tight as you think it's gonna get, see if it will hold the truck in place when you give it a LITTLE bit of gas. If it will, call it good. Re-visit the adjustment in a couple months. (if you use your e-brake regularly) The new cables will stretch some.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not sure how much force they want on the e-brake to consider it 'fully engaged'. My thoughts are, if you have as tight as you think it's gonna get, see if it will hold the truck in place when you give it a LITTLE bit of gas. If it will, call it good. Re-visit the adjustment in a couple months. (if you use your e-brake regularly) The new cables will stretch some.
Ok, Thanks !
It does hold to 800 or 900 RPM, so I'll take your advice and leave it as is for now.
I don't hardly ever, actually use the parking brake, but I do want it to work as it should, when I do use it.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 Parking Brake Adjustment