2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rust prevention coatings

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rust prevention coatings

I bought this 95 to rebuild our 95 which was my wife's dad's truck. I want to coat and/or paint the frame/axles/under the cab and box. Do I sand blast everything or use a rust converter? I tried POR-15 and didn't have good results. I've seen quite a few people use Chassis Saver. What else is out there? I want a fairly smooth appearance. Is there an epoxy? I'm going to do some research and put what I find here.

The first I came across was from Eastwood. What do you think?
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k-ceramic-chassis-black-satin-and-activator.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI mNuc0L2B3AIVAQRpCh2pew35EAQYBSABEgIxo_D_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=239&v=mLourZTQ95s

Last edited by 2bit; 07-02-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you want a relatively smooth finish, you are going to need to blast it with something.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Here is an hour long rust solution video. It discusses stripping/ sanding/ blasting, different products for the type of result you want and the process of using multiple products to stop rust and seal the metal so it won't start again. I think what is presented could be applied to any companies products if you have a different preference. I will look for other brands, this is just the first stuff that popped up on my search.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you want a relatively smooth finish, you are going to need to blast it with something.
I think that is the direction I'm heading. After watching that video, you can use high build primer on top of some of the coatings and then paint. It offered some different paths to a nice finish. Hopefully others jump in with what has or hasn't worked for them. I'll see what else I can dig up. I want to check out KBS, 3M, and Chassis Saver for sure.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

I've used Zero Rust to coat my frame, axles and rear springs. Doesn't require a lot of prep and my results have been very good.

https://www.zero-rust.com/

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I've used Zero Rust to coat my frame, axles and rear springs. Doesn't require a lot of prep and my results have been very good.

https://www.zero-rust.com/
Thanks, I'll check it out. Did you top coat it with anything?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
Thanks, I'll check it out. Did you top coat it with anything?
Nope - All I did was knock down the loose rust on the frame with a wire wheel in a 4" grinder, blow it off and apply the product with a paint brush. It adheres well and looks great. Zero Rust is available in several colors. I used black. My frame was very rusty and I wanted to keep it from getting any worse, since I plan to keep this truck awhile.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Nope - All I did was knock down the loose rust on the frame with a wire wheel in a 4" grinder, blow it off and apply the product with a paint brush. It adheres well and looks great. Zero Rust is available in several colors. I used black. My frame was very rusty and I wanted to keep it from getting any worse, since I plan to keep this truck awhile.
Thank you!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

So I scored these today! I want to get them cleaned up and coated when I get home this time so next time I'm home I caa install them. The local body shop that's helping me learn body work has KBS Coatings. I don't want to wait for something to get shipped so if they have it in stock, I'm going to try it. Otherwise I'll see what Advanced has. I've used a couple KBS products and liked them.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

This is the stuff I'm going to try if they have it in stock.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/stop-rust-paints.html

Quick Reply: Rust prevention coatings