2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball Joints without a press

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you take the axle nut off, you can pull the hub/bearing first, and then slide the axle out. Not having the bearing on there, makes it easier to deal with the u-joint, once the axle is out. (it just pull straight out. Easy once everything else is out of the way.)

Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you take the axle nut off, you can pull the hub/bearing first, and then slide the axle out. Not having the bearing on there, makes it easier to deal with the u-joint, once the axle is out. (it just pull straight out. Easy once everything else is out of the way.)
Alright, I'll go get that socket today after work, then I might actually get started tonight, I got some other new parts coming in today as well
I'll update tomorrow on how it's going/any other questions, Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

I did the trick, it worked on the side bolts, but the one ontop isn’t coming free easily, or at all really... I broke a socket trying to do that one. Also I just noticed that my ball joint nut is stripped pretty bad, I don’t know if I’ll be able to get that off. I think I’m gonna reassemble everything and try again when I have all the right tools. Ugh, what a money pit

Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

You have it started, spray a bunch of penetrating oil in there... then use a chisel and place it in the opening you made and try to work it off - just a little at at time. you are sooo close now.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
You have it started, spray a bunch of penetrating oil in there... then use a chisel and place it in the opening you made and try to work it off - just a little at at time. you are sooo close now.
I broke the heads off of two flat heads and sprayed two cans of PB in there lol, it’s pretty stuck for now, I got it all back together, and with a new steering stabilizer, waiting on a buddy to come over after work tonight to help me bleed the brakes, then I’ll go take it for a drive and see if anything changed.
Just as reference, this truck will shake between 30-45, recently it’s gotten better, still shakes, but not as bad, and before I did the tie rods and drag bar, it literally was an earthquake. So I’m glad most of that is fixed, the only major issue right now was that caliper, which I just replaced with another brand new one, see how that goes. I’ll keep this updated as I learn more. Again, thank you guys, I’d have no idea what I’m doing

Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah, you can't pry it off with screw drivers. You have to push it off. I used a small-ish chissel, and drove it parallel to the face of the knuckle. It starts narrow and gets larger as you go, so I just wedge it in and smack it a few times with the mini sledge... Worked my way around the circumference. Honestly it took about an hour to get the hub off, but I got it off undamaged - mine would have been at least $130 a piece for good name brand.

BTW I couldn't push on all the bolts either, D60s have 4 bolts equally spaced. When you do get it off, and you will, make sure you clean the rust off the hub and knuckle hole, and coat that sucker with alot of anti-seize... so next time its a breeze to work on.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints without a press