2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

track bar ... upgrade to 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:32 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

So after looking at it again, before taking it off for the other track bar.... I think what is wrong is they turned up the tab for the steering box bolt a little too early. If I were to lop off the "turn up" and slide the bracket in towards the engine more, likely, the bushing ears would line up and also the center hole. Its like the took the inside measurement of the turn up and used it as the outside... wouldn't be able to prove it unless I actually cut that "turn up tab" off, but seems likely.

Lets just say I won't be fabricating on this $200 shipped bracket. I will talk to either the manufacturer or PDP next week about what to do about this. If they can send me one that fits properly, I'd use it. Else I gotta get my $ back.

The MOOG bar went on easy. Haven't driven it yet.... the zerk won't start threading in the cap. I've probably put 100 of those zerks in over the years WTF. Checked for reviews on the bar, lots of complaints about the zerk not threading in. Nothing but sh*t for quality anymore.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
So after looking at it again, before taking it off for the other track bar.... I think what is wrong is they turned up the tab for the steering box bolt a little too early. If I were to lop off the "turn up" and slide the bracket in towards the engine more, likely, the bushing ears would line up and also the center hole. Its like the took the inside measurement of the turn up and used it as the outside... wouldn't be able to prove it unless I actually cut that "turn up tab" off, but seems likely.

Lets just say I won't be fabricating on this $200 shipped bracket. I will talk to either the manufacturer or PDP next week about what to do about this. If they can send me one that fits properly, I'd use it. Else I gotta get my $ back.

The MOOG bar went on easy. Haven't driven it yet.... the zerk won't start threading in the cap. I've probably put 100 of those zerks in over the years WTF. Checked for reviews on the bar, lots of complaints about the zerk not threading in. Nothing but sh*t for quality anymore.
Yeah, that's what we get for moving all of our manufacturing to third world countries...... All those lovely 'free trade' agreements worked out so well for us......

Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

What a pain... tried to tap it with a 1/4-28, but the tap was too tapered. Finally just went to the local auto parts stores. Tried Napa, they didn't have it in stock but had it in a book... So moved on, 2nd store yielded a ream/tap for fittings - Oreilly's. $6 and it did the job with the installed on the truck. Part number was W54321, from Performance Tool. I measured the threads on the supplied fitting, just a little bigger than the ones I had in the drawer... and the spares were longer. I ended up putting a spare on, I could not get the supplied one to start threading in, even after threading the hole.

Took it for a ride. Wow, what a difference. And like most people seem to report, the steering wheel went from 10am to noon with this repair. Steering still has some groan spots, I think it sounds worse now - but could be my imagination.... I used to think it was the steering column itself... but it may be a hydraulic groan, and given its got 182k on it, thinking I may still have my jyard core rebuilt by blue top and put on new hoses and a rebuilt pump.

Here is the tool to fix MOOG's issue, for anyone else trying at 2nd gen style bar:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...w54231/4614383

Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

So I talked briefly to PDP, and they called the manufacturer ... they got back to me on Wednesday. He didn't understand why the bracket wouldn't fit, I sent pics, he sent pics... Today we decided that the bracket they sent me was the intended size/shape. So I'm going to go through the return process. Manufacturer said he'd look it over when it came in and see if he could detect a problem in the part. I'll need to get with PDP and get that return started tomorrow. Manufacturer told me they make those in 500 part runs, the current run was pretty much sold, and I'm the first to report a problem. All involved was genuinely interested in solving my problem, so that experience went well.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

So I talked briefly to PDP, and they called the manufacturer ... they got back to me on Wednesday. He didn't understand why the bracket wouldn't fit, I sent pics, he sent pics... Today we decided that the bracket they sent me was the intended size/shape. So I'm going to go through the return process. Manufacturer said he'd look it over when it came in and see if he could detect a problem in the part. I'll need to get with PDP and get that return started tomorrow. Manufacturer told me they make those in 500 part runs, the current run was pretty much sold, and I'm the first to report a problem. All involved was genuinely interested in solving my problem, so that experience went well.
Glad customer service was good! That in my opinion is what makes the company. Even though the part didn't fit they wanted to help, that is a good company and I'll buy from them when I do the conversion.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Glad customer service was good! That in my opinion is what makes the company. Even though the part didn't fit they wanted to help, that is a good company and I'll buy from them when I do the conversion.
I hope you have better luck than I did. Too bad you're not closer - we could have tried this bracket out on yours. I'm interested to see what SSI's finds when they get the part back.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I found that company enjoyable to work with when I purchased my track bar from them several years ago. Just wished they were closer.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I hope you have better luck than I did. Too bad you're not closer - we could have tried this bracket out on yours. I'm interested to see what SSI's finds when they get the part back.
Ill drive to Pittsburgh lol

Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I received my purchase price back as refund, so only out the shipping costs (about $28 total both ways). SSI said they would evaluate the returned bracket and let me know what they find, so maybe there is hope of using them for this conversion yet. Bracket was returned to PDP, so don't know when SSI would get it back. I'll wait a week or so and email them and see if they hold true to the evaluation assertion.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:09 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I received my purchase price back as refund, so only out the shipping costs (about $28 total both ways). SSI said they would evaluate the returned bracket and let me know what they find, so maybe there is hope of using them for this conversion yet. Bracket was returned to PDP, so don't know when SSI would get it back. I'll wait a week or so and email them and see if they hold true to the evaluation assertion.
Did you ever hear back from them?

Quick Reply: track bar ... upgrade to 3rd gen?