2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Bad weather stripping

On my 96 extended cab I have a whistle coming from the driver's door. I know it's the weather stripping as water slowly drips from it when at a standstill. I replace both The weatherstripping on the cab (one goes in the lip the other slides into a channel). I still have the whistle how can you tell which weatherstripping is bad? They were from a junkyard that I got a few months ago.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Grab a sheet of paper. (8.5X11) Open the door, stick the paper in the door, where you think it is leaking from. Close the door, pull on the sheet of paper. There should be a fair bit of resistance, if there isn't, open the door back up, roll the window all the way down, Put your knees against the base of the window frame, grab a hold of the top of the door frame, and pull it in a bit. Try the sheet of paper again. Still not tight enough? Put a bit more effort into your pull. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you get results you like. Don't pull TOO hard though, it IS possible to fold the door right up. Then you need a new one.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

There is the door gasket on the cab, and then there are these little glue on strips on the front side of the window frames, and the rear side. The glue on ones are the first to go when you change color on the door.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grab a sheet of paper. (8.5X11) Open the door, stick the paper in the door, where you think it is leaking from. Close the door, pull on the sheet of paper. There should be a fair bit of resistance, if there isn't, open the door back up, roll the window all the way down, Put your knees against the base of the window frame, grab a hold of the top of the door frame, and pull it in a bit. Try the sheet of paper again. Still not tight enough? Put a bit more effort into your pull. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you get results you like. Don't pull TOO hard though, it IS possible to fold the door right up. Then you need a new one.
I would need really long femurs to get my knee to the base of the window frame but I get it basically bend the top of the door in
Originally Posted by fj5gtx
There is the door gasket on the cab, and then there are these little glue on strips on the front side of the window frames, and the rear side. The glue on ones are the first to go when you change color on the door.
Got any pictures?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you put some cleaner/conditioner on the seals? When i replaced the door hinges on my truck, the seals started whistling.Over some time, the seal basically reformed itself to fit to the door the right way again and the whistling went away. Mine weren't leaking water like yours, but if you can't completely get ride of noise from it, give it some time.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Got any pictures?
I removed them to paint the new doors. They usually do not come off in good shape. I think I have a good pair in the garage, somewhere. There is a folded over thin piece on the front edge near the windshield, and a thicker oval one vertically on the back of the door against the cab. Putting those back on are pretty low on my todo list right now.

If you would get moving on that new stereo setup, you'd probably not notice the air leak

Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by racefan41
Did you put some cleaner/conditioner on the seals? When i replaced the door hinges on my truck, the seals started whistling.Over some time, the seal basically reformed itself to fit to the door the right way again and the whistling went away. Mine weren't leaking water like yours, but if you can't completely get ride of noise from it, give it some time.
I don't use none of that fancy 21st century snake oil sun. Where I come from we use blood, sweat, tears, and sometimes spit to condition seals I'll give it a try and try to get better pics when it rains

Old 08-28-2018, 12:36 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I removed them to paint the new doors. They usually do not come off in good shape. I think I have a good pair in the garage, somewhere. There is a folded over thin piece on the front edge near the windshield, and a thicker oval one vertically on the back of the door against the cab. Putting those back on are pretty low on my todo list right now.

If you would get moving on that new stereo setup, you'd probably not notice the air leak
When I paint my doors and new cab I'm just going to mask everything and gut the interior. Hell I'm waiting on my bank account to say go ahead I have a good job just funds are tight around this time of the year.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 08-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I stuck a block of wood between the door and the frame to tweek mine in a bit.

Quick Reply: Bad weather stripping