2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

:( truck bogging after tranny swap, now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default :( truck bogging after tranny swap, now what ?

so I just got my tranny swapped with a used rebuilt one I purchased and now my truck wants to bogg again.

It happens mostly in third gear but after the engine warms up it gets worse.

when it gets to about 30 mph it Boggs a little and loses power but then when it gets to 50 or so it Boggs bad and almost feels like truck kicks down into gear and jerks.

Just got bled dry af and now i have another issue to solve.

my guy said he thinks it’s the tranny but I disagree. It shifts really firm from 1-2 and 2-3. I’ve had something similar happen when I first bought it because the air box wasn’t all the way on and i had to put it back on. Like it fell off just by touching it. The truck would lose power at low speeds and sputter and choke the engine.

it was damn near dark when I went to pick it up but I checked the tranny fluid and it looked good and when I checked the oil I noticed some burnt black crud at the bottom of the dipstick ( uh-oh).

my engine sounds louder all of a sudden than it did this morning too before I brought it in. I mean it’s been sitting a long time but why would oil burn like that all of a sudden ?( assuming that’s what my dipstick indicates)

I only drove it down the street after the tranny blew to a friends for storage and drove it for a test drive today.

When i I first bought it the oil looked kind dark but it wasn’t too bad so I just added some for the time being. It’s clear Who ever had this truck before me obviously neglected simple maintenance.

I guess my question would be could a much needed oil change and o2 sensors cause it to bog ? Seems too simple

I was gonna do a tune up with new o2 sensors but I only drove the truck a little under 2k miles before the tranny blew so yeah.

so just cross my fingers and hope all I need is a oil change and a tune up ?

Oh and my codes are

p0132
p0139
p0351

Last edited by POSram2001; 09-05-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:17 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

Also forgot to mention it’s had a slight misfire that isn’t really noticeable only at idle since I bought it but I never got the misfire code until now.

Edit: here’s the dipstick. Wanted to take a picture in the daylight.

https://i.imgur.com/s1WKA7d.jpg

Last edited by POSram2001; 09-05-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Well, you have a couple O2 sensor codes, and a code indicating a problem with the coil.

Replace the front O2 sensor, and the coil. NTK or Denso sensors please, skip bosch, our trucks don't like them.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, you have a couple O2 sensor codes, and a code indicating a problem with the coil.

Replace the front O2 sensor, and the coil. NTK or Denso sensors please, skip bosch, our trucks don't like them.
ok. Will do.

I have friend who’s coming over to help me since I don’t have many tools.

wasn’t p0139 it was p1319.

The truck did did sit for a couple months without being started until I got a new battery after the tranny blew so I’m not shocked Little problems have gotten worse.

Another intresting thing is someone that was getting the same plug error code and having bogging was recommended a new crank sensor. Thing is I had to get a new one because the guy said my old was way too corroded and a pice broke off when he took it out.

not sure if he took the time to reset the pcm but would the pcm even cause a problem like that ?

Last edited by POSram2001; 09-05-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I am having a hard time finding info on the P1319 for dodge. So far as I know, Dodge doesn't use a Voltage Detection Module (spark plugs)...... One reference was to cam sensor, but, the site was so unclear as to what they were actually talking about.... hard to tell just what they meant.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

I am having a hard time finding info on the P1319 for dodge. So far as I know, Dodge doesn't use a Voltage Detection Module (spark plugs)...... One reference was to cam sensor, but, the site was so unclear as to what they were actually talking about.... hard to tell just what they meant.

i read somewhere that our trucks don’t like cheap crank sensors from Napa. Do I have to go get one from the dealership ? I bought the 60$ one at Napa because it was up the street from the shop.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

meant *p1391

Old 09-05-2018, 12:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by POSram2001

i read somewhere that our trucks don’t like cheap crank sensors from Napa. Do I have to go get one from the dealership ? I bought the 60$ one at Napa because it was up the street from the shop.
Our trucks are weird. Some trucks will work fine with aftermarket sensors others will not. Only way to know for sure is to buy Mopar, which I usually try to do. But there has been some instances where I threw a cheap aftermarket one on with no issues. So we can walk you through troubleshooting and then you take it from there. The major sensors (crank, cam, O2) I would try and stick with Mopar or the recommended brand but times are tough and not everyone can spend that kind of cash.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by POSram2001

meant *p1391
Error Code P1391 is defined as CMP or CKP Signal Intermittent Condition. It refers to intermittent conditions in the CMP (camshaft position sensor) or the CKP (crankshaft position sensor), which usually happens

Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Our trucks are weird. Some trucks will work fine with aftermarket sensors others will not. Only way to know for sure is to buy Mopar, which I usually try to do. But there has been some instances where I threw a cheap aftermarket one on with no issues. So we can walk you through troubleshooting and then you take it from there. The major sensors (crank, cam, O2) I would try and stick with Mopar or the recommended brand but times are tough and not everyone can spend that kind of cash.

well I’ll I just realized the lady at the Napa store handed me the wrong sensor. She handed me the for a manual transmission.

I got the napa mileage plus one at that. So go to the stealership and get a mopar one ?

The mechanic guy I called who put it in said it probably won’t fix it and it shouldn’t matter if it’s for a manual transmission so I don’t trust him anymore. He’s telling me I need a new transmission.

Quick Reply: :( truck bogging after tranny swap, now what ?