2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum replacement compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Happy to be of service.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Ramsportore

What do you mean by centerhead? I am not familiar with that term/ part.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
He is posting from his phone, and it doesn't always work as advertised.
I grew up with older guys and they called it a center head as it's in the center :b I took notes on what's different so I know for future reference!
Use your intake manifold, there were changes over the years, so, they are not always compatible. Basically, any 360, 93 or newer, will work. (just swap the intake.)
I'm older school and can't get internet where I live so I have to use my phone lol HeyYou is the 2nd gen ram Mopar God he knows a lot more then I do when it comes to the computers and stuff he also is better at explaining things. I suck at it lol

Old 09-05-2018, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'm older school and can't get internet where I live so I have to use my phone lol HeyYou is the 2nd gen ram Mopar God he knows a lot more then I do when it comes to the computers and stuff he also is better at explaining things. I suck at it lol
It helps that I have a REAL keyboard, and can use ALL my fingers, instead of just my thumbs. (you know I love giving you grief about that. )

Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

It helps that I have a REAL keyboard, and can use ALL my fingers, instead of just my thumbs. (you know I love giving you grief about that. )
You got a point there I'll send the bill for the internet installation to you (only costs about $3500) it's not bad to type and I thought about getting a laptop or use my desktop and but a Bluetooth thing and use my phone as a hotspot but money is tight

Old 09-05-2018, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sure, sure, have them send me the bill. I have an address in Russia I can give you.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM
01Ramsportore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also while I was replacing the engine I thought it would be a good time to replace the one exhaust system. If I was to hollow out the catalytic converter or delete it all the way, I know it will throw a cel code but if I was to get a tuner could I disable it so I could pass inspection. I just like the idea of having one less part that could fail

Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cats are pretty reliable. They don't usually fail, unless something upstream fails first. (burning oil, running to rich, etc.) On the older trucks, you could remove the cat, and they just wouldn't care. On the newer trucks, they are a bit more sensitive. (98 and up) Deleting it will likely fail a visual inspection..... If yours is already having issues, probably be easier to fix the original problem, then replace the cat with a high-flow unit.

Also, without the cat, you may not pass the sniffer test either. (if they actually do one.)

Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 PM
01Ramsportore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cats are pretty reliable. They don't usually fail, unless something upstream fails first. (burning oil, running to rich, etc.) On the older trucks, you could remove the cat, and they just wouldn't care. On the newer trucks, they are a bit more sensitive. (98 and up) Deleting it will likely fail a visual inspection..... If yours is already having issues, probably be easier to fix the original problem, then replace the cat with a high-flow unit.

Also, without the cat, you may not pass the sniffer test either. (if they actually do one.)
Well to be honest I have no clue if the existing cat is good or not, I have only drove the truck a couple times before I started to rebuild it. And here in Louisiana in the smaller areas around me all you have to worry about is passing the emissions test, they do not pop your hood or even really walk around your vehicle beside to check your lights. But I’m guessing if there is no real benefit from deleting it then there’s no point.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 01Ramsportore

Well to be honest I have no clue if the existing cat is good or not, I have only drove the truck a couple times before I started to rebuild it. And here in Louisiana in the smaller areas around me all you have to worry about is passing the emissions test, they do not pop your hood or even really walk around your vehicle beside to check your lights. But I’m guessing if there is no real benefit from deleting it then there’s no point.
Pretty much spot on.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I deleted all my cats on my second gens. They make things you put in the 02 holes to keep the light off. I also welded the outside of the car to the pipe so it looks like a car to pass visual inspection. Not much of a difference I can feel.

Quick Reply: 5.9 magnum replacement compatibility