2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Delphi or Spectra fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Delphi or Spectra fuel pump?

I'm ordering one from rockauto since I heard the autozone and oreilly pumps are junk and cost double the rockauto price anyway....I assume it has to be the fuel pump on its way out and not anything else, after sitting awhile the truck will die when first started like all the fuel pressure has totally leaked down when sitting, it'll start on the 2nd try after priming the pump via key off/on after dying. And once started idles and drives fine, and if started at least within the same day or next day will start up alright I know of. If I keep the ignition turned it'll spin the engine and sputter to life and actually start the first time. No way there's any bad gas left at this point in the truck, this is the 2nd half tank of fresh gas too after burning out all possibly old gas from the previous full tank and still doing it off and on since late last year. No check engine light for what it's worth, although I doubt much data would be triggered on my old crude 95 obd1 anyway

unknown repair history on the truck sadly besides the tuneup I did last year, and earlier this year new NGK o2 sensor and Standard MAP sensor on the throttle body. Truck was doing this before I even got any new sensors though so they're not it.

I'll have to get my dad to help me do this but I remember him saying it's actually pretty easy to just lift the bed up on one side and get the old pump out of the tank? It could very well have the original fuel pump for all I know...

funny tidbit for what it was worth when doing the o2 sensor and map sensor, o2 sensor was very very very easy to get out with a normal wrench, getting in the right position with a flex socket extension to change the map sensor (and having one of the screws fall down behind one of the injectors on the keg and the joy that was getting out in the cramped spot...) was way harder than the o2 everybody always swears is hell to get out lol.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Delphi. Yes, it's more expensive, but, you only want to have to change it once.

Wouldn't hurt to check what pressure is doing before you simply replace it though.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Ramchu
Professional

I Installed a Delphi fuel pump on March 29 of this year, then on August 24th, I installed another Delphi under warranty
for the same reason that the OP is describing.
Both of these Delphi fuel pumps, replaced a Carter fuel pump that I installed in June or July of 2016, again for the same symptoms,
extended cranking time after the truck had sit for a while unless the ignition was cycled on - off to prime the fuel system.

It's a crap shoot as to quality on parts, seeing as how they all seem to be made in China.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ramchu
I Installed a Delphi fuel pump on March 29 of this year, then on August 24th, I installed another Delphi under warranty
for the same reason that the OP is describing.
Both of these Delphi fuel pumps, replaced a Carter fuel pump that I installed in June or July of 2016, again for the same symptoms,
extended cranking time after the truck had sit for a while unless the ignition was cycled on - off to prime the fuel system.

It's a crap shoot as to quality on parts, seeing as how they all seem to be made in China.
Yeah, I have real issues with that. Seems that when things were actually made here in the states, quality was MUCH better...... But, finding stuff that actually IS still made here...... Like looking for hen's teeth.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

it hasn't gotten any worse since last year thankfully which is why I thought for awhile it was bad gas and leftover bad gas but you'd figure after several fuel system treatments it would have went away by now if it was bad gas, and it starting right up when leaving the store also lead me to this conclusion finally today. It does suck, I heard the autozone and oreilly pumps are an even worse quality tier of chinese junk lol.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Air Tex has always been my bane. I simply won't buy their parts any more. Nor will I buy the AutoZone brand of ignition parts. I learned my lesson after being stuck on the side of the road the third time, for the SAME part failure.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Ramchu
Professional

WhiteSnake,
My suggestion would be to not only raise the bed to change the fuel pump, but also drop the tank and be sure that the tank is clean
on the inside.
Yes it's a hassle, but well worth the effort in the long run, you can also inspect the fuel and brake lines, that run behind the tank
while the tank is out. the lines tend to rust out behind the tank, over time a lot of crap gets caught back there and holds moisture.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the bed up, and the pump out, siphoning the gas out of the tank should be pretty easy.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

might be a good preventative maintenance measure to get a new battery or at least battery tested since it'll be getting cold starting at least next month, it's an ac delco one whose date code reads either 2012 or 2011. I'll get in contact with my dad later today and see when he'll be free to help me then I'll order the delphi off rockauto, I can't really gripe too much, the truck has a bit of miles on it and idk what has or hasn't ever been fixed/changed out on it in the past but it's always gotten me from point A to B reliably. When I unhooked the battery when installing the new sensors the other month I believe at some point an old owner ran new positive cables, I'd have to take a pic showing what they look like and where they go, maybe the old ones corroded out years ago -shrug- , they certainly don't look the same as my old 01 3.9 ram's cables looked.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Ramchu
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With the bed up, and the pump out, siphoning the gas out of the tank should be pretty easy.
There is a place on the pump that you can hook an external pump, or even a siphon hose to drain the gas.

Quick Reply: Delphi or Spectra fuel pump?