2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

47RE transmission engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47RE transmission engagement?

Hi all,

Had something happen to me twice in as many weeks.

From a cold start (hasn't run in more than 1-2 days) shift into gear - and it's like I'm in neutral.

The first time it happened I was shifting into reverse on a my level street. I could hear and feel the transmission 'move' into gear - but when I released brake - she didn't m move, and when I put gas pedal - just revd like in neutral. I moved the shifter around from P R N D, then back to R - stopping in each - same result. Each gear I stopped in I could 'hear' and 'feel' the transmission move underme. Eventually after continuing my search around - she engaged, and then drove fine...

One time is a fluke...twice is a trend.

Yesterday - same thing happened when I started her up cold (last drive, 2-3 days) - went into D - felt transmission move under me (and heard it), let off brake and idle didn't push truck - which I knew was odd on level road I shouldn't need accelerator to move, so accelerator - and rev's like neutral. Moved shifter around gear to gear - and eventually she engaged.

99 ram v10, 47RE - 76K miles
I've owned it a year - and I don't drive much. I drive it a couple times a week. However in the last couple weeks I've been driving it almost every day as I have been running back and fort to home depot.

About 1 year/2000 miles ago (yes 2000 miles in a year): changed trans fluid/filter/adjusted bands.

Checked trans fluid this morning - after running truck 5 minutes, and shifting around - put her in neutral and checked level...middle of the hatched area of the dip stick/OK section. I've never seen her leak anything - but you never know, so I checked. Fluid looks just as new as it did last fall..red and pretty.

This has happened 2 times - and while I don't drive her much - driving has felt normal. She always shifts smoother when I'm towing or running her harder/accelerating faster...since I normally drive gentle, I've always noticed her shift is more dramatically felt when I drive gentle than when I drive it like I stole it, or I'm towing. What can I say, baby likes it when she has something to do.

Any thoughts about what could be going on, or where to look?

thanks,
Ray

Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Probably an electronics issue. Is the check valve still in the trans cooler line up by the radiator? That could be another source of delayed engagement. (but, that should only take a few seconds to build pressure.....)

Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8-10" or transcooler line that the valve would be on the end of looks like original factory parts - so I don't think anyone deleted it (and i didn't) - so yes I think it's still there.

BTW - this is why I love this forum...I ask a question - you guys ask a question - I go look up what the heck that is, and I learn - thank you.

I most typically never take off in the truck before about 5 seconds. I've posted before - my engine oil pressure gauge does not come up from zero until about 3 seconds (counting by the method used in the south - of 'Mississippi's' ) after start when cold...and more immediately when good and hot). So I always wait at least 3 seconds to watch my gauges stabilize before even shifting. So if the check valve would unclog within a few seconds - it seems unlikely to be my culprit.

When I changed trans fluid last fall - I dropped pan, pulled filter and let it drain for...hours. I did not pull any of the lines up by the cooler - so if there was schmutz in there, it did not get drained out. As I understand it - that's the concern - clogging, right?

ray

Old 09-26-2018, 02:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

No flow thru the cooler in park. Doesn't charge the torque converter either. Something I consider to be a rather stupid design........

Could try letting it idle in neutral for 10 seconds or so, then see if it engages right away.

Quick Reply: 47RE transmission engagement?