2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Winter Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heated seat covers.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
Heated seat covers.
I thought about getting catzkin covers but then saw the price

Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I thought about getting catzkin covers but then saw the price
Holy smokes, I just checked those out. Ya, I'll pass too.

And I thought my Carhartts were spendy

Last edited by racefan41; 10-07-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by racefan41
Holy smokes, I just checked those out. Ya, I'll pass too.

And I thought my Carhartts were spendy
Technically they aren't covers they replace the factory seat material. I am saving up for them but it's a dream I customized mine too have gel inserts, massagers, and heated and cooled. Black with plum crazy purple down the center. A man can dream can't he?

Old 10-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Park it inside :-) +1 on cardboard for a very cold day... don't forget to take it out though.
Wish I had the room to my old cars are in the garage
Agreed, park it inside. Project cars? NOPE! Move them outside and cover them or else store them in a barn. Screw adding aftermarket remote start systems. Like after market alarms, those tend to be hacked in and actually cause problems that lead to you losing $$$ down the road.

Man up and either go outside and start the truck, letting it warm up for five minutes -- OR -- deal with it.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Agreed, park it inside. Project cars? NOPE! Move them outside and cover them or else store them in a barn. Screw adding aftermarket remote start systems. Like after market alarms, those tend to be hacked in and actually cause problems that lead to you losing $$$ down the road.

Man up and either go outside and start the truck, letting it warm up for five minutes -- OR -- deal with it.
Some are project cars some aren't but I think I'll keep my 69 coronet in the garage over my truck lol. I usually just man up every winter 😂

Old 10-07-2018, 08:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

The chipped key I'm not sure of. But since I never installed one I will leave it to the professionals lol
i am pretty sure they didn't start using chipped keys till about 03 or something like that. i am pretty sure the 2nd gens where never chipped. as far as installing a remote start goes they are pretty simple and straight forward on non chipped vehicles. i picked one up for $20 and installed it in my 93. wiring the engine to run and start is easy. running all the other wires to make all the other stuff work it the more time consuming and a pain to do. i have been meaning to finish up the install on my 78 and install one in my 89 but been too busy to but the 89 is on the list to do since winter is on its way. 78 can wait till next year. it controls what it needs for the time being.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i am pretty sure they didn't start using chipped keys till about 03 or something like that. i am pretty sure the 2nd gens where never chipped. as far as installing a remote start goes they are pretty simple and straight forward on non chipped vehicles. i picked one up for $20 and installed it in my 93. wiring the engine to run and start is easy. running all the other wires to make all the other stuff work it the more time consuming and a pain to do. i have been meaning to finish up the install on my 78 and install one in my 89 but been too busy to but the 89 is on the list to do since winter is on its way. 78 can wait till next year. it controls what it needs for the time being.
See I lack time at the moment lol

Old 10-28-2018, 10:22 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would like to share what I found this weekend in the hopes it might help. I flushed my whole system and didn't get anything out besides clean coolant. One thing me and my friend noticed is the temp was on the cool side. Scan tool said it was 163 idling and 155 at 1500rpm. So feeling hoses we noticed the upper radiator hose was hot and the heater hoses were cold. So we pulled the thermostat and noticed it had holes near the top that water could flow through, keep in mind the v10 thermostat is like that of a big rig and this is what mine looked like (note its is upside down in the photo):

Next is the one I put in, notice the extra seal around the cylinder:

So after putting in the new thermostat I also got a new cap. I noticed the other one felt noticeably weak, especially for a 16lb cap. I went to fill it up. While waiting for it to totally burp with the cap off I was watching the coolant temp and it hit 115 quickly and stopped abruptly then slowly fell off to 109. So at this point I was thoroughly stumped and so was my friend who is a certified diesel tech. Not only was the coolant temp cold so were all the hoses. None of them felt even the slightest bit warm after 10 mins in shop at 65. So we decided to shut it down, top it off, and put the new cap on. Started it back up and let it run. Hit normal operating temp in about 4-5mins, heater lines were hot with nice hot air blasting out of the vents and the upper radiator hose didn't get warm until 5 degrees before there thermostat's rated temp. Not sure if it was the thermostat or cap or both but I'm leaning towards both. The real test will be when the temps start to hit the 20s here again. Should be real soon according to the forecast. Then hopefully if it passes the 20 degree test it will pas the -25 degree test. I don't want to be in the position of its -5 in the middle of blizzard going to rescue someone and my heater can barely keep the windows clear enough to see better yet keep me warm. That actually happened in my last truck (which otherwise performed exceptional).

Last edited by adukart; 10-28-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Winter Options