2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stalls at first start in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 10:54 AM
norteno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the valuable input from you guys. I will begin addressing all the things mentioned real soon as it is starting to get cold here already and I don't want to get stuck. Any opinions on a good strong battery for our trucks?? What about Interstate??? I see the model MTP-78DT for $158. It has 30 Months Free Replacement /6 Year Performance Warranty 800 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). Thanks for the help brothers.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:46 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am SO sorry I apparently accidentally reported the post even though I clicked reply...blame it on a crap cheap $40 Android phone. My bad. I had a whole reply written out too. To summarize, I'd take just about anything over a Walmart battery ...I'd only get one of those late at night in a pinch when AutoZone/O'Reilly was closed. My battery in my ram now is an approx 6 year old AC DELCO that's still good, 750 CCA I believe in mine but I'm in Tx and it never really even snows in my part. I actually had a 3 month old green interstate go bad in my old firebird but I guess it's all luck of the draw. My previous 01 v6 ram had a gold rated O'Reilly battery the previous owner took out of their old car and it was fine. My firebird had a parasitic draw problem I was never able to chase down, hence me not trusting it to be a daily driver. I love the 3rd gen 82-92 Camaro/firebird look, but even as of the late 90s and early 2000s I literally never saw any of them around anymore...maybe they all fell apart lol. I still to this day see the occasional 4th gen 93-2002 firebird/Camaro. They seem to have stood the test of time much better than those 3rd gens did, even as of the late 90s early 2000s. But I digress and I appogize to the mod that had to read my report in error that was actually a thread reply, I once again blame it on this cheap crap phone, I intend on getting a better one next week.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I got the Platinum better from Advance. Only reason I got that one I've the base better was the warranty. It held up even with half melted battery terminals, but I exchanged it for one with the melted terminals . Don't let them talk you into a yellow top, only get that one if you have a bunch of accessories.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I am SO sorry I apparently accidentally reported the post even though I clicked reply...blame it on a crap cheap $40 Android phone. My bad. I had a whole reply written out too. To summarize, I'd take just about anything over a Walmart battery ...I'd only get one of those late at night in a pinch when AutoZone/O'Reilly was closed. My battery in my ram now is an approx 6 year old AC DELCO that's still good, 750 CCA I believe in mine but I'm in Tx and it never really even snows in my part. I actually had a 3 month old green interstate go bad in my old firebird but I guess it's all luck of the draw. My previous 01 v6 ram had a gold rated O'Reilly battery the previous owner took out of their old car and it was fine. My firebird had a parasitic draw problem I was never able to chase down, hence me not trusting it to be a daily driver. I love the 3rd gen 82-92 Camaro/firebird look, but even as of the late 90s and early 2000s I literally never saw any of them around anymore...maybe they all fell apart lol. I still to this day see the occasional 4th gen 93-2002 firebird/Camaro. They seem to have stood the test of time much better than those 3rd gens did, even as of the late 90s early 2000s. But I digress and I appogize to the mod that had to read my report in error that was actually a thread reply, I once again blame it on this cheap crap phone, I intend on getting a better one next week.
No worries.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
Yep, it's a no on Walmart batteries for me too. I've learned my lesson after a few of them for different vehicles. The last one I had was swollen and really weak when I pulled it out. The swollen battery was good for a few years because it had 1000 CCA but didn't last as long as I thought it should have.
I ran a Duralast Platinum AGM battery for a few years and loved it because they don't breathe like Walmart batteries so I didn't get any corrosion on the terminals while it was on the truck but it didn't last as long as it should have before I noticed the starter was getting slower on the first start of the day.
Right now I have a Duralast gold 810 CCA battery in my truck and it seems to be a good one but time will tell, it's only about a year old.
I've got a 4th gen Camaro sitting 20 feet from me (other side of the wall in the driveway) but it's pretty worn. Rust, primer and what's left of the original paint makes it look like it's been in a junk yard for years. A friend of mine is going to buy it from me for scrap value and put a 400 engine in it so he can have a sleeper at the track, who wouldn't think they could beat a tired old Camaro with mold on the back bumper, raggity interior, a crack in the windshield and a rust/worn paint/primer combo on the body.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM
norteno
Professional

Yea... duralast seem easy to buy.. they're at autozone around here... AGM batteries seem sturdy too. I seen a diehard gold AGM but all the Sears stores are closed around here and have to order one on line..$189.. I never bought a battery online... any comments on diehard and/or AGM batteries.... l know batteries only last on average 3-4 years but dang... I want to spend my money wisely... if that's even possible with car batteries..LOL.....thanks again for listening to me....!!!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I went to battery wholesale, and bought the biggest, meanest battery that would physically fit in my 96. (it was really weak, and left me stranded. Once.) 7 years later, that battery was still in the truck, but, I wasn't driving it anymore, so, it discharged, and froze. That was the end of it. Had I been driving the truck regularly, I have no doubt that I would still be using it. I don't recall what brand it was though......

Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 PM
norteno
Professional

Interesting...that's sort of the mindset I was following...but why spend all that money when something more basic and less expensive will do the job..I don'tdrive the truck regularly either..... thanks for looking out... now I know why I got on this forum... good experience and insight and advice.. thanks again...

Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by norteno
Interesting...that's sort of the mindset I was following...but why spend all that money when something more basic and less expensive will do the job..I don'tdrive the truck regularly either..... thanks for looking out... now I know why I got on this forum... good experience and insight and advice.. thanks again...
Battery wholesale places give you the best prices. If you have one near you, go there

Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by norteno
It gets COLD here on occasion, which dramatically reduces a batterys performance. That, and I didn't want to ever have to worry about the battery again. (at least, not for quite some time.) So, 'overkill' was the word of the day.

Quick Reply: stalls at first start in the morning