2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Transmission Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Transmission Oil Cooler

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 that is getting the transmission rebuilt. When I dropped the pan the ATF was silver and full of metal debris. I need to replace the entire radiator as the trans cooling lines are an integrated part of the radiator and i suspect the radiator is full of debris (and i was told to get it replaced before i get the rebuilt one back). My question was, is there and aftermarket transmission oil cooler that is on the market meant for my truck? Any advice would be awesome.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 that is getting the transmission rebuilt. When I dropped the pan the ATF was silver and full of metal debris. I need to replace the entire radiator as the trans cooling lines are an integrated part of the radiator and i suspect the radiator is full of debris (and i was told to get it replaced before i get the rebuilt one back). My question was, is there and aftermarket transmission oil cooler that is on the market meant for my truck? Any advice would be awesome.
And transmission cooler will work. Even the one from Advance Auto, just takes a little bit of time to install.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur

When you say a bit of time do you mean just getting the lines to fit for the aftermarket oil cooler? I suppose you could run some sort of extension from the oil cooler to the lines themselves and it would work that way?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:45 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

Just have the shop install one of theres or recommended.Much easier plus a warranty.Just a thought.................

Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur

Originally Posted by cruzer55
Just have the shop install one of theres or recommended.Much easier plus a warranty.Just a thought.................
That would be the route to go... however the transmission is being rebuilt as we speak and I have no way of getting the entire truck to a shop at this point.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

That would be the route to go... however the transmission is being rebuilt as we speak and I have no way of getting the entire truck to a shop at this point.
If you decide to install one yourself let me know I'll help you through the process

Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
If you decide to install one yourself let me know I'll help you through the process
Have you installed one yourself? I was just curious if anyone had a bought one that worked for them?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Have you installed one yourself? I was just curious if anyone had a bought one that worked for them?
I've done them before on vehicles. They all will work for you. You just need a decent sized one since it's a truck.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I've done them before on vehicles. They all will work for you. You just need a decent sized one since it's a truck.
Right, It also needs to clear the the gap, so it needs to fit between where the hood comes down and the radiator

Old 10-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur

https://www.partsgeek.com/kw66z5h-do...ion+Oil+Cooler
Would something like this work for my truck?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Transmission Oil Cooler