2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Alternator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
but you are not running 120amps of lights and equipment all the time. most of the time running down the road you are likely using 60 amps or less.
You are right. Again thanks man and I wasn't trying to be a D*ck.
Originally Posted by 2bit
I only have a 120 or 150 amp in my semi with 4 dual purpose batteries. It'll run the engine electronics, lots of lights, wipers, 2 blower motors, lap top computer, refrigerator, stereo, and CB while recharging the 4 batteries from the overnight hotel load. Make sure there is a big enough cable to actually get all that amperage to the battery. Most vehicles seem to have an undersized cable from alternator to battery.
What!?!? Thought they would have a way bigger alternator. Good idea in the cable! I'm going to check that

Old 11-06-2018, 08:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no problem. i don't know everything but i have learned quite a bit over the years from having to learn how stuff works. electrical is my favorite place to dable. upgrading the output and ground wires to my alt made a bit of a difference on my 81 especially since i upgraded it from a 65 to a 115. saw a slight voltage output drop after upgrading the wires but it was a more consistent output. i have considered installing a second relay to work in parallel with the asd relay but haven't got around to it yet. i just use a jumper wire when i really need the alt to perform the best it can

Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

no problem. i don't know everything but i have learned quite a bit over the years from having to learn how stuff works. electrical is my favorite place to dable. upgrading the output and ground wires to my alt made a bit of a difference on my 81 especially since i upgraded it from a 65 to a 115. saw a slight voltage output drop after upgrading the wires but it was a more consistent output. i have considered installing a second relay to work in parallel with the asd relay but haven't got around to it yet. i just use a jumper wire when i really need the alt to perform the best it can
Same here, I love wiring but still learning! I need to figure out how to wire up a second battery I don't want to parallel it. Want it to charge the main better until full then charge the second one but be able to jump them together in case one dies. Not spending $300 on a kit

Old 11-07-2018, 06:10 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you would have to run it in parallel no matter what unless you plan on running 24volt. it really isn't too hard. you can also do it cheap but the cheaper is just not as nice as the expensive stuff. plus most of your money is spent on a decent wire or fancy solenoids that are meant to run all the time with the circuits in them to automatically turn on when they sense the alt charging. you can do it cheaper with basic solenoids and switches. it just isn't as convenient

Old 11-07-2018, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Get a good battery isolater, wire it up as directed, and there you go. Folks have been doing that for decades.

The reason for the isolater is so the batterys, if not equal charge/capacity, don't discharge each other.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

you would have to run it in parallel no matter what unless you plan on running 24volt. it really isn't too hard. you can also do it cheap but the cheaper is just not as nice as the expensive stuff. plus most of your money is spent on a decent wire or fancy solenoids that are meant to run all the time with the circuits in them to automatically turn on when they sense the alt charging. you can do it cheaper with basic solenoids and switches. it just isn't as convenient
Money is of no concern if I get quality parts, you know? I just want the satisfaction of doing it myself.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get a good battery isolater, wire it up as directed, and there you go. Folks have been doing that for decades.

The reason for the isolater is so the batterys, if not equal charge/capacity, don't discharge each other.
Good to know thanks! Do you think a deep cycle battery is best? Since they have the most reserve time. Here is what I ultimately want. Two batteries that are independent but can be tied together to "jump start" the vehicle so to speak

Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Money is of no concern if I get quality parts, you know? I just want the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Good to know thanks! Do you think a deep cycle battery is best? Since they have the most reserve time. Here is what I ultimately want. Two batteries that are independent but can be tied together to "jump start" the vehicle so to speak
Hhhmmm.... If you use it only as a secondary power source, for things like running the radio, etc, when the engine is off, I could see it. But, it really isn't designed for the high current draw of a starting motor.......

Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhmmm.... If you use it only as a secondary power source, for things like running the radio, etc, when the engine is off, I could see it. But, it really isn't designed for the high current draw of a starting motor.......
You do have a point the only thing I could see running with the engine off is my air compressor. Going to be a lot of write ups coming soon

Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if money is not a problem then ya go with a nice one. it would allow for the cleanest install. you could always run big load accessories like compressor and auxiliary lights off your 2nd battery. i think a deep cycle battery would probably do ok for boosting. i could be wrong but i am pretty sure that is what they use in booster pack. i got a 12v 20ah battery that came out of a e bike and it has no problem spinning a 318 over all on its own. i think it spins it over fast enough that it might just start. they do seem to make pretty good booster batteries. i have started replacing a few dead boost pack batteries with them. they weigh a bit more but seem way stronger.

Quick Reply: Bad Alternator Questions