2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission work not truck don't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:12 PM
retarmy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission work not truck don't start

I just replaced the transmission pressure and Governor Solenoid and now my truck don't start. This is what I did. I dropped the transmission pan, removed filter, removed the wires to the pressure and governor sensor. I made a mistake by leaving my ignition on when I did this. I removed both sensors and installed new ones. I reinstalled the wires, oil filter, and pan. I also replaced the transmission kickdown cable. Finally I filled with oil. Il went to go start the truck and nothing happens. Matter of fact the brake pedal does not even move. Where did I go wrong. Could I have connected the wires wrong on the sensor? My battery was a little low so I recharged it. Still no crank.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by retarmy
I just replaced the transmission pressure and Governor Solenoid and now my truck don't start. This is what I did. I dropped the transmission pan, removed filter, removed the wires to the pressure and governor sensor. I made a mistake by leaving my ignition on when I did this. I removed both sensors and installed new ones. I reinstalled the wires, oil filter, and pan. I also replaced the transmission kickdown cable. Finally I filled with oil. Il went to go start the truck and nothing happens. Matter of fact the brake pedal does not even move. Where did I go wrong. Could I have connected the wires wrong on the sensor? My battery was a little low so I recharged it. Still no crank.
Those wires have nothing to do with the truck starting. You have another problem. You could take the transmission out of the truck and it will start in nteural. Could have knocked the neutral safety switch lose. Try starting it in neutral, see if it will start.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

No it won't start in neutral if the trans is out (needs a jumper wire). Either the nsw-connector is loose, or the switch itself is bad. My truck won't start every once in a while, on those occasions I just hit the shifter and all is good. I did have issues with the connector ('95 has the round one) which tend to get loose or completely off from the switch. I was going to update it to newer version, but noticed that switch cavity was filled with dirt, so the connector didn't seat properly. Switch was also slightly mangled, so light tap with a hammer seated the connector.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM
retarmy

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Those wires have nothing to do with the truck starting. You have another problem. You could take the transmission out of the truck and it will start in nteural. Could have knocked the neutral safety switch lose. Try starting it in neutral, see if it will start.
would there be something I might of disconnected when I yanked the lockdown cable out. I disconnected from the top and pulled it out from under

Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

would there be something I might of disconnected when I yanked the lockdown cable out. I disconnected from the top and pulled it out from under
Maybe crank sensor at it plugs in somewhere around there. Trying starting it in neutral. It should at just turn over just not start. I believe if the neutral safety switch is bad it won't do either. Put the shift lever in neutral and if it starts you need a new neutral safety switch or your connector is lose.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
No it won't start in neutral if the trans is out (needs a jumper wire). Either the nsw-connector is loose, or the switch itself is bad. My truck won't start every once in a while, on those occasions I just hit the shifter and all is good. I did have issues with the connector ('95 has the round one) which tend to get loose or completely off from the switch. I was going to update it to newer version, but noticed that switch cavity was filled with dirt, so the connector didn't seat properly. Switch was also slightly mangled, so light tap with a hammer seated the connector.
I understand that but my point was that the trans has nothing to do with starting lol

Old 11-09-2018, 06:12 PM
retarmy

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I understand that but my point was that the trans has nothing to do with starting lol
i like the process of what I did last. Truck started before I did work. I replaced the sensors and cable. So something I touched is wrong. It feels like I get a battery drain when I try to start. I here a click and that's it. Will a short dothat?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 PM
retarmy

i like the process of what I did last. Truck started before I did work. I replaced the sensors and cable. So something I touched is wrong. It feels like I get a battery drain when I try to start. I here a click and that's it. Will a short dothat?
Got the truck started. Battery was not charged enough. I do get a check gauges light on my dash now. My scanner does not pick up any codes though. I must of knocked off a wire somewhere.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

So check your gauges, which one is giving you bad news? (volt gauge would be my guess.)

Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM
retarmy

Well I checked my gauges when the truck was running and its the oil pressure sending unit. Figures it is the hardest one to get to, I think I busted it off when I pulled the Kickdown cable out

Quick Reply: Transmission work not truck don't start