2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Puzzle piece dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Hmmm my lmc dash is perfect since 2013. Install was easy and the only "fasteners" are the OEM screws already in the truck. Best money I spent for the interior and awesome product. Considering only Geno's unpainted piece that you have to cut to fit and junkyard as options, I would go with lmc all week long.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our '95 spent most of it's life in a garage so the dash was perfect.....unfortunately, it had to live outside when I bought it 13 years ago and now it has several cracks about 2 inches long coming from the defrost vents and the areas around the screws up by the windshield are all broken out (when I had to pull the dash to change the heater core)
Mike Sal

Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

I'll have to post a pic showing the mess mine is in next time it's daylight and I go somewhere, it's basically non existent, and even the big plastic dash piece covering the bottom of the steering column fell off the other month lol. A previous owner also grounded/hooked up the cig lighter to some metal curvy beam near the middle of the dash, so odd as I've seen in pics the cig lighter should be way forward. Still has the ash-tray, but cup holder long since disintegrated I'm guessing lol. No stereo, and the wiring looks all cut up, these dodge trucks and even jeeps were odd in the fact of when hooking up a stereo you manually have to make a ground for it, and they required two wiring harness adapters versus 1 on the other vehicles. I bought the wiring adapters long ago and connected them just to test if they would even connect and they did at least.

When I bought the truck it had two decently big speakers behind the left/right side of the seat, I forget the company offhand and idk if they're dead or not, but I'd assume even an el cheapo stereo/mp3 player would sound decent on them. I'll have to post a pic showing the wiring hackjob an old owner did too. I've resorted to using a bluetooth speaker next to me in the seat. I vaguely remember hearing the stereo has to have enough amps/power to support the speakers though or it would sound like absolute crap probably.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? You don't like driving a rolling plinko machine?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 AM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a different approach on my 95 ram 1500 because I'm cheap and had most of the materials on hand... I had to replace the heater core and the dash was already cracked. it literally fell apart as I removed it. so I bought a cheap cover, flipped it over supported it so the shape was right, sprayed it with mold release agent, then assembled all the pieces of the shattered dash in the cover. Then I put a layer of glass mat and marine layup epoxy on the underside to hold it all together, two layers on what looked like stress points and important areas. I suppose I could have removed the cover and done the top with a coat of glass / epoxy, sanded it flat then shot it with base / clear or ss paint, but I was looking for longevity rather than appearances so I just installed it, put the cover on with a little silicone and let it be... It's been holding up well for the past 4-5 years and looks fine with the cheap cover on top... ;-)

Old 11-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Mike Sal
Professional

Sounds like something I would do. How long did it take to get the fiberglass resin smell out of the cab?

Old 11-21-2018, 12:26 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

I was basically going to do the same, I still need to get around to taking a pic but the dash is basically non-existent but in theory would look 1000x better with one of those cheaper plastic covers, held up/gorilla glued to wooden blocks or even pringles chips cardboard can tubes cut in half or so. I may end up needing to get the actual instrument cluster bezel so I'll have actual blower vents now. That may need to be gorilla glued in as well as I'm unsure if the mounting screws/slots/surface for the cluster bezel are even there anymore.

I'm unsure where I'd mount/screw in the cig lighter though, an old owner had it screwed into one of those curvy big metal beams about halfway in the dash itself. I remember seeing/reading there should be 2 cig lighters though.....guess one of mine was cut out...

Old 11-21-2018, 02:02 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sal
Sounds like something I would do. How long did it take to get the fiberglass resin smell out of the cab?
I used epoxy... so I'm guessing not long, but I really don't know - I was born without a sense of smell... ;-)

Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

yikes, look at this metal welded dashboard on top of the existing busted plastic and single metal beam screwed into the dash and carpet holding it up..... say goobye to your head/neck/torso if it's ever in a wreck and that heavy sharp metal comes flying at you

the crap I see for sale on the fb marketplace, lol. That beam is gonna go flying like a missile

Quick Reply: Puzzle piece dash