2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No heat!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yeah, I need to address this too. My heater is extremely anemic........ barely blows hit on the middle fan speed. I am sure it's just an air pocket in the core, but, with the v-10, getting to the hoses back there is problematic, at best...... May have to get creative.

I am going to try cutting the hose close to the outlet of the heater core, install a flush T, and use that to bleed the air out of the core. I am 'hoping' that will solve the issue.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd advise that if your core is still stock, just replace it. You can flush until you're blue in the face but nothing makes a difference like a new core. Amazing the difference it made for me. No fogging, instant heat, and I run the temp halfway in the blue.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM
wrnchbndr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if the cap itself might have an issue with pulling air into the system during the cool-off when the engine is turned off after driving. Not a bad idea to at least inspect the cap and the line going to the reservoir. Lots of potential red herrings with this problem.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Bled the system again, uphill and raised the Rom to get the pump moving and the heat came on. Some bubbles came out after half an hour and the heat was nice and hot, threw the cap on and made my way home. Half way there the heat just died, cold at full speed and luke warm at setting 2. Not sure what’s going on here, maybe my pump can’t flow under pressure? Would corrosion on the impeller cause the truck to not over heat but not have interior heat if it’s worn down the right way?

Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sorta have the same issue as far as the heat not being as hot as I think it should be, but it defrost and does a good enough job of keeping me from freezing. I've also noticed it seems to be warmer on defrost than other settings.
Thinking of investing in one of these. I used one when I worked in a shop for a while and take the purging the system deal out of refilling.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I need to address this too. My heater is extremely anemic........ barely blows hit on the middle fan speed. I am sure it's just an air pocket in the core, but, with the v-10, getting to the hoses back there is problematic, at best...... May have to get creative.
I hear ya. The intake on these engines are in the way of doing so many things. It kinda like you need to get all sorts of parts and do everything at one time while its off.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

got a strange little conundrum here, my truck since the day i bought it hasnt had heat.
It may help to know what your truck is! Year? engine? The hvac box changed from cable to motor to control the blend doors. Also it's good idea to drill a small hole in the t stat to allow air to escape and not get trapped. If you still are seeing air you may have a bad head gasket pumping air into the coolant. As for the grounding of the heater core it could be also a way to get rid of static build up.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those having issues with heat, have you been flushing & changing the coolant every few years? Yes, the cooling system should be maintained like any other, so chances are the heater core could be suffering from blockages due to debris in the system. After all these years on this forum, I am constantly amazed at how everyone makes it sounds like bleeding the air from the cooling systems on the Second Gen Dodge is a huge mystery of complex design.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
It may help to know what your truck is! Year? engine? The hvac box changed from cable to motor to control the blend doors. Also it's good idea to drill a small hole in the t stat to allow air to escape and not get trapped. If you still are seeing air you may have a bad head gasket pumping air into the coolant. As for the grounding of the heater core it could be also a way to get rid of static build up.
2001 5.9 v8. I do drill holes in my thermostats. Not a bad head gasket we’ve tested for that at work. Problem is I work for gm and nobody here knows jack about 2nd gen Rams lol

Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 AM
Trepid02jnk

The ground wire you speak of is probably from the frame to the body. Never heard of grounding the heater core ? Makes no sense

Quick Reply: No heat!!!!