2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My hub or wheel bearing just separated on the way home

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:07 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My hub or wheel bearing just separated on the way home

Well, I just got off the highway (thank god) pulled onto my street and this happened, noticed it, got out and saw it, but I had to get it home so I drove on it for another .5 mile I知 guessing....
At this point am I better off getting my money back out of it (as much as I can at least) and buying a different dodge? I love the brand, just not this specific truck anymore.

what looks to be the issue? I知 guessing the wheel bearing separated from the hub? I知 over all these problems....damn Problem Child

Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Wow. That's not supposed to happen....... Was it making any noise before it failed? Usually, they will be growling pretty loud long before they get to that point....

And yeah, that just the hub/bearing unit. Replace it, and you'll be good. I would be very tempted to take a very close look at the other side as well.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wow. That's not supposed to happen....... Was it making any noise before it failed? Usually, they will be growling pretty loud long before they get to that point....

And yeah, that just the hub/bearing unit. Replace it, and you'll be good. I would be very tempted to take a very close look at the other side as well.
I guess that makes it easy to get those ball joints done at the same time haha. On the highway about five minutes from home I heard a bad pop from the front end, scared me, but I had to make it home...Two streets away I take a right hand turn and instantly I have the wheel turned all the way left to stay straight and it felt like a tire had blown out. No way I would get that lucky though lol

Currently it is parked out front, which it will get towed if I don稚 move it. Do you think I can take it around the block and get it in the parking lot or have a tow truck come and try to get it in the parking lot?

Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Tow truck would be a better plan.... driving it may do significantly more damage......

Old 11-17-2018, 04:06 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

If you have a vehicle dolly (something like this - https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...-pc-61283.html), I'd jack the damaged side up, slide in the dolly and lower/remove the jack, put the truck in neutral and push the truck around the block (with a friend) into the parking lot. If you don't have a dolly, calling a tow truck would take care of it, too.

Keep in mind that these trucks are old and require periodic maintenance, especially the parts that tend to wear, such as wheel bearings.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

It's a 4X4 so the wheel bearing are maintenance free(sealed unit), Not even a zerk fitting.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:52 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

yikes....shouldn't be too bad of a fix in actuality. I remember when I first got my 01 3.9 ram it needed the driver's front wheel bearing, was pretty loud.... on the last couple years of 2nd gens you couldn't just replace the bearing itself, the whole hub itself was one part.....found a Timkin one cheap on rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...366578&jsn=501 , around ~110 with 1-2 day shipping, wasn't bad and WAY better quality than the crap autozone brand ones from what I read, and cheaper too I believe.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Mike Sal
Professional

Ya, that thing was trying to tell you it needed help for quite a while & you weren't listening until it was too late. Be very careful & look over your brake caliper & holder, as you may have f*cked it up when the wheel went wonky. The caliper is the only thing that kept the wheel from coming completely off & taking the axle with it.

You don't need any special tools to fix it other than that big *** socket for the axle nut and a 12 point 13mm socket for the 3 bearing bolts. make sure you loosen that big nut before you jack it up, or use an impact driver. Since the hub will certainly fall out of the bearing housing when you remove the brake caliper, you need to use a big *** hammer and a big chisel to wedge between the bearing housing and the spindle.
Mike Sal

Last edited by Mike Sal; 11-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM
wrnchbndr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on not ending up dead. You got some good karma.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Gotta be more in tune with your vehicle, friend. That thing had to be sounding like an airplane for a while. Definitely do both sides as the other is probably getting ready to let go too. I replaced my fronts with Timkens last year. 2WD is super simple. Word of advice when replacing, use a torque wrench when tightening. If you go too tight, you end up wearing out the bearings faster and you don't want to be too loose either. Quoting myself from my old thread, I drive a Dak, but I think torque is the same.
Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Just updating on the final outcome.

I ended up getting the Timken HA599528 wheel bearing hubs. I also caught a steal on front and rear EBC USR slotted rotors on Amazon. Installed them all this past weekend and the change is remarkable. Changing the hubs was very easy as I didn't have to deal with front axle shafts (2WD). One big axle nut (36 mm) and off they came. No cotter pin, no nothing. Torque was 185 ft-lbs. The noise is completely gone as is the weird tracking I would get during sweeping turns. Both old bearings were dry as chip, when spun by hand.

Quick Reply: My hub or wheel bearing just separated on the way home