2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Water Problem

2001 Ram 2500 5.9L V8. Where does the cowl drain? Isn't there some to be a tube just for the cowl to drain when it fills with water? I'm only asking because only when it rains my passenger side door gets wet. Check the AC drain it's fine, checked all the seals they are fine.
Thanks, Austin

Old 11-30-2018, 01:10 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I believe it drains down each side of the main pillar in front of each front door. If your door seals are in good shape, the water would run out of the sill then onto the ground from what I've seen.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I believe it drains down each side of the main pillar in front of each front door. If your door seals are in good shape, the water would run out of the sill then onto the ground from what I've seen.
Ill have to dig into it because I was looking for hoses like my newer Ram has. Thanks for the response Atomic!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

When I had my front fender off recently, I saw no drain tubes coming off the cowl, unless someone had been in there before and changed things.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
When I had my front fender off recently, I saw no drain tubes coming off the cowl, unless someone had been in there before and changed things.
I was wondering if it was like the older Mopars where there was just a hole. My next mod is going to be adding a cabin air filter behind the glovebox. You think that water would get into the HVAC box from the cowl though. I'll pull my cowl one of these days and take a better look

Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The drain is usually a gap in where the sheet metal is welded to the rest of the body. It can get clogged up with crap and eventually will cause rust. If left unaddressed it can get to the point where the rust eats it's way into the cab. So that could be where the water is getting in. The air inlet in the cowl has a lip going around it about 1 1/2 high from the bottom of the cowl so i doubt the water is getting in that way.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
The drain is usually a gap in where the sheet metal is welded to the rest of the body. It can get clogged up with crap and eventually will cause rust. If left unaddressed it can get to the point where the rust eats it's way into the cab. So that could be where the water is getting in. The air inlet in the cowl has a lip going around it about 1 1/2 high from the bottom of the cowl so i doubt the water is getting in that way.
Pretty much this ^^ The drain is in the HVAC box, but it does have a tube that leads into the base of the firewall. It should be visible in the passenger side area of the engine bay. You may have to get under the vehicle to find it. It's probably plugged from debris that has broken down and worked its way into the cowl area.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:27 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'll take a look for the gaps and see if they are clogged
Originally Posted by Gary-L
Pretty much this ^^ The drain is in the HVAC box, but it does have a tube that leads into the base of the firewall. It should be visible in the passenger side area of the engine bay. You may have to get under the vehicle to find it. It's probably plugged from debris that has broken down and worked its way into the cowl area.
I already checked the AC drain it wasn't clogged plus the AC doesn't work in my truck but I don't need it being 24 here

Old 12-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AC drain might not be clogged, but there could be debris built up in the box which is preventing moisture from properly draining. You might try locating the source by having a helper slowly pour water into the cowl while you inspect for leakage.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Gary-L
The AC drain might not be clogged, but there could be debris built up in the box which is preventing moisture from properly draining. You might try locating the source by having a helper slowly pour water into the cowl while you inspect for leakage.
Once I get a helper I planned on that. Sucks being on the road for work while your carpet gets a 24/7 cleaning

Quick Reply: Water Problem