2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips: worth it? or not worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 AM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips: worth it? or not worth it?

All in the title.. let me know.. i can get one for $200 and idk if i want to..

99 dodge ram 1500 2wd 5.2l 318 magnum

Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they are worth every penny!! Be careful if you buy a used one because they can be VIN locked and will not work on your truck... if you already bought a used one and figured this out you can have SC reprogram it for about $100.

I've had mine for close to 2 years now and it's a very nice add on. It has a few different modes to choose from and it also allows you to change tires size and minor shift point changes. The gas saver mode will get you anywhere from 3-5mpg depending on how heavy your foot is during acceleration. The tow haul mode is nice, shift point are much different from stock and the truck also has a noticable more amount of power. You'll be very happy with it. I love it because I usually tow a heavy trailer 1-2 a month but use my truck as my daily driver the rest of the time, with the SC tuner it makes it easy to switch between tow/haul and gas saver mode which saves me money in uel each month.. only takes a few minutes to program you'll love it!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worth it.
corrects speedo. moves overdrive out. fixes death flash tune.

shop around. i found a 'new' refurb or nos for $225 shipped.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

+3, I have had a SuperChips 3815 on my truck for 2 years now. While not custom tunes like Hemifever's SCT's. They are worth the money and then some. Not to mention their tech and customer service is top notch. The 3815 is internet updateable, makes it easy to keep it current.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If that falls through, the SCTs are also a good route to go. Their "canned" tunes are $265 right now if you go through Hemifever (real name is Sean).

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

Worth every penny IMHO.

I've got a 5.9L but it definitely can bring the power out of the engine dependent upon which mode you are in and I know mine at least in towing performance mode improved my gas mileage amazingly.

Still play around with it in 91 octane performance mode from time to time... but that fuel is EXPENSIVE!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
The gas saver mode will get you anywhere from 3-5mpg depending on how heavy your foot is during acceleration.
I haven't tried the lowest tune yet but correcting the speedometer for the 33" tires and putting the 89 tune on it gave me 2mpg better mileage.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
The gas saver mode will get you anywhere from 3-5mpg depending on how heavy your foot is during acceleration.
I didn't see a big gain at all with mileage xs tune. The tune feels weaker imho on the butt dyno (probably supposed too)... and with the hills around here I noticed it would downshift a lot more and seemed to noticed a little less mileage with it too. ymmv I run the 87 tune and I notice a difference over stock. I love the delayed torque converter lockup speed too with overdrive off. When the torque converter locks up when im accelerating to that shift point, the truck will lunge forward. Makes me feel like the truck actually has some ***** lmao. Kinda hard to explain, but for those who have sc tune, they know what im talking about.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

thanks guys, think im going to invest in one now!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Wrong post

Quick Reply: Superchips: worth it? or not worth it?