2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stalled, backfired and blew a trans line

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM
TJenkins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalled, backfired and blew a trans line

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 4x4 with a 5.9l. Ran the truck at idle several times for 20 minutes minimum, drove it down the road maybe 3 miles, truck stalled without warning, backfired and blew and transmission line by the starter. I'm having trouble diagnosing this and would greatly appreciate some input.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

What do you need help with? The backfire issue? The blown transmission line or the stalling issue? Or all 3?

Old 12-20-2018, 02:48 PM
TJenkins

It all happened at the same time, just wondering what may cause all 3 to happen at the same time. The trans line didn't leak until this happened. Just wondering if it could be a vacuum issue, or some thing else. I'm replacing the PCV valve and crankcase filter and grommets. But could it be something else? And would or could those 2 things cause my problems?

Old 12-20-2018, 03:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Common causes of backfires:
  • Poor or unregulated engine timing often a cause of intake backfires, but can also be responsible for exhaust backfires.
  • Improper wiring in the ignition can also lead to timing issues and backfires
  • Low fuel pressure, clogged furl filters, and weak fuel pumps could cause a severe lean air-to-fuel ratio
  • Missing or damaged catalytic converter can result in backfires out the tailpipe.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:53 PM
TJenkins

Ok, next question. Would or could any of these listed problems cause it to stall with no warning. Like no spit and sputtering just quit running?

Also I'm assuming that you're saying the blown trans line has nothing to do with it stalling and backfiring and is unrelated?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Trans line is likely just a coincidence. Repair as you normally would. If you still have the check valve in the line, get rid of it. (DIY's for that in the faq/diy forum.)

If the engine just quits, but immediately will restart, it's gonna be fun to figure out. Way to many possibilities. If it won't restart right away, need to see what's missing, spark, or fuel.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 PM
TJenkins

Truck did not want to restart right away, but did restart after about 20 minutes. I have changed the plugs and wires, new air filter, inspected the EVAP system/vacuum lines. I know plugs and wires are correct, I double and triple checked them.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably a sensor, or PCM, getting hot, and failing. Let it cool for a bit, and it starts working again. Gonna need to figure out what's missing when it won't start.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:19 PM
TJenkins

Ok, so I just installed a new crankcase filter and pcv valve. Ran the truck and got it to stall out again. Only this time it spit and sputtered for a little bit and stalled but no backfire like before. Checked fuses and all are good. Unplugged the purge solenoid for the EVAP system and it will start back up almost immediately, only takes a couple cranks and not 10-20 minutes of waiting. Can this solenoid cause my issue to occur?

Last edited by TJenkins; 12-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe..... If its stuck open, it's a big vacuum leak. (so, lean mixture, may or may not ignite) Run it with it unplugged for a while, and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Engine stalled, backfired and blew a trans line