2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Light and Brake Light Always ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM
orlandobill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light and Brake Light Always ON

Hello,

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L truck, on the dashboard; the ABS and Brake lights are always on after changing my rear brake line.

I scanned for codes, and there are not any.

I replaced the sensor in the Rear End (pumpkin) with no changes.

I only have the rear sensor for the ABS, none up front.

Will there be voltage on the connector to the sensor in the rear with the key on? I have read that maybe the sensor is 'powered' by the rotation of the read end.

Any help on where to start would be appreciated.

Thank you
Bill

Last edited by orlandobill; 12-22-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2018, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

The sensor modifies a voltage from the PCM, so, with ignition on, you should see about 5 volts on one of the wires for that sensor.

That said, I don't think that's your problem. More likely is, the proportioning valve got displaced a bit when you replaced the brake line. Need to reset that first. (grab a friend, have friend pump up the brakes, and hold them, and crack open one of the FRONT bleeders. Close the bleeder, pump the brakes a couple times, and see if the light is reset. If not, do it again.)

Old 12-22-2018, 05:26 PM
orlandobill

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try that tomorrow; I'll post my results.

Last edited by orlandobill; 12-22-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM
orlandobill

Hello,

Here is an update of the issue...yes it is solved. Thank you 'HeyYou'

When I tried to bleed the REAR brakes, there was no brake fluid coming out of either bleeder screw; I removed each bleeder screw and cleaned each one, making sure air would pass through the holes. Still the same results, no fluid passing.

I replaced the rear brake center hydraulic hose (it looked like crap, and was cheap), with same results.

I then checked the master cylinder and loosened the fitting for the rear brakes, and did get fluid, I then checked the next component in the line, the proportioning valve (as 'HeyYou' suggested), and got no fluid going to the rear brake line. I removed the proportioning valve, took it partially apart, and cleaned it with brake cleaner. I then reinstalled it and was able to bleed my rear brakes (front too).

I took it for a test drive and the Emergency brake and ABS lights were NOT present!

Thank you
Bill

Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Awesome! That's is the usual culprit when you get those lights after doing brake work.

Quick Reply: ABS Light and Brake Light Always ON