2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Keezy Ledet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram cranks but wont start

Im having an issue with my ram where it’s have trouble starting. First thing in the morning it’ll start after about 5 secs of turning over then idles fine but It sounds like it has a miss & im having little power when i press the throttle to move im also hearing air when I press down on the throttle but it stops when i let off. Sometimes the air sound will cause it to die when i put it in gear or i dont give it gas when im coming to a stop. If i turn her off she will crank but not start until the next morning or if the engine gets cold. I changed the ignition coil,cap,rotor,tps, new plugs & wires,crank sensor, cam sensor & still to no avail it wont start even though i have spark & fuel pressure in the rails. Im also having trouble trying to find out whats this peice is, it had a metal loop on it which came off while i was messing with it. Could this be the reason for the crank no start? Im tired of throwing parts at it thinking it would fix the problem would starting fluid help me diagnose the problem? I will attach a picture of the peice that broke too i think its a sensor but im not sure. It sits behind the alternator and is connected to the wires going to the coil & fuel injectors.

The peice i was talking about

Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

When it won't start something has to be missing. You only need fuel, spark, and air to start. Once you find out what is missing we can help you further. Now onto the stalling issue, when was the last time the throttle body and IAC was cleaned?

Old 12-28-2018, 05:59 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

That is likely the upper part of the coolant temperature sensor and the housing is still in the motor. $20 or less for a new one. I don't know how the PCM interprets an open coolant temp sensor reading but it's feasible it makes the engine run way rich.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Keezy Ledet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@MoparFanatic im not sure i haven’t done it since I brought the truck. I was thinking about getting a new IAC but how would i go about cleaning the tb? Do i need to take it off completely or could i spray carb cleaner and wipe it down? Also if im getting spark & fuel how would i know if im getting compression or not?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Take the throttle body off to clean it. Leave the battery disconnected while it's off. Remove the IAC, and clean out the well, and the end of the pintle as well. (go gently on the IAC itself.) No need to replace it just yet either. When you have every back together, hook the battery back up, turn the key to 'on', count to ten, then start the motor. That gives the PCM the chance to learn the zero values of various sensors.

Need to check and see if if your coolant temp sensor is broke. It is usually down next to the thermostat housing, on the coolant passage there. If it ain't hooked up, the PCM thinks its -40 degrees out, and quite literally DUMPS gas into the cylinders. It may or may not start like that, but it sure won't run good.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

HeyYou beat me to it lol see if that is your coolant temp sensor that broke and us (the community) will take it from there

Quick Reply: 99 ram cranks but wont start