2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain/gear removal V10

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Timing chain/gear removal V10

So I ordered a new chain and crankshaft gear for the 99 ram 2500 v10, no camshaft gear available anywhere. Cant figure out the reasoning behind only having 2 of the 3 parts available, but then I started looking into the removal process and found that it calls for this puller http://www.autotoolworld.com/Miller-..._p_156240.html.

Has anyone changed the timing set out on the v10? Wondering if that puller is really necessary or if I can buy some comparable puller that will work. Is there a good universal puller set/sets that will get both gears off for me without spending an arm and a leg? Hoping not to have to take it apart and then figure out what I need later. Never done a timing set before, so not sure what tools work best.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Is that for the harmonic balancer?? Or one of the timing gears? (or both.....)

I think the cam gear on these also has the parts for the cam sensor to read..... so, basically a one-trick-pony. Not used on any other application....

Old 12-29-2018, 03:53 PM
racefan41
Captain

It's for the crank gear. If I can link this it shows the pics and where I saw the tool info.
https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/9e2...ce-timing.html

It's got some other specialized tools its calling for also. The puller I mentioned at first kinda seems like a power steering pully puller in a way but not sure whats with the fancy setup on it. I'm kinda wondering if other tools will work in place of other specialty they call for doing the rest of it. Seems like a little overkill for doing the job, but it is a v10 so who knows. I've never even had the chain off a v8, so I'm still learning the deal with pullers/installers.

I'll take a look under some other descriptions to see it has the gear with the sensor reader deal.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 PM
racefan41
Captain

What do you think about doing this job with not changing the cam gear and only doing the chain and crank gear? I know they say the old gears wear with the old chain. Mine isn't making any noise or making me think it has other issues.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I always just used a couple screwdrivers to pull the crank gear........ most of the time, it would just slide right off.

If you can't find a new cam gear, then I don't see what choice you have. Much as I am an advocate of the double roller chains over the morse style..... (stock) can you even find one??

The SA Gear number is 73153. (stock, morse style chain.) Those still seem to be available, just not here in the US....... (complete set, both gears, and chain.) Might ask if one of your local parts stores can scare one up?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I always just used a couple screwdrivers to pull the crank gear........ most of the time, it would just slide right off.

If you can't find a new cam gear, then I don't see what choice you have. Much as I am an advocate of the double roller chains over the morse style..... (stock) can you even find one??

The SA Gear number is 73153. (stock, morse style chain.) Those still seem to be available, just not here in the US....... (complete set, both gears, and chain.) Might ask if one of your local parts stores can scare one up?
Yeah, the more Iook at it, I feel I'm overthinking it. Just haven't seen a puller like that and wondered if I was missing something there. That's probably the tool you use if you're the dealership.

I searched for what felt like a couple hours yesterday and not finding much of anything on the gear/complete set or other people talking about doing it. I will check out that part number you gave me. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 PM
racefan41
Captain

Wow, that part number is good. I don't know how I couldn't find that in a search. I put in every kind of description I could think of even using what the Mopar site were telling me was the original number. Awesome.

Advance auto showing it

Last edited by racefan41; 12-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain/gear removal V10