U-joint to differential yoke - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

U-joint to differential yoke

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-joint to differential yoke

Old 01-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Tad Wicks
Default U-joint to differential yoke

I guys, 1999 3500 diesel,I recently posted on here that I had a bad vibration at highway speeds and I found that the u-joint retainers were missing allowing the caps to back out and let the drive line run off center, easy fix. Well the vibration has now returned, so I slid under and checked the drive line again for looseness and found that the rear most ujoint was sliding back and forth in the differential yoke almost unrestricted but held captive by the tabs on the yoke and the straps. So I started measuring and the Tabs on the yoke are 4.250 and the spread on the ujoint is 4.1875 and of course in order to slide back and forth 0.0625 the straps bottom on the yoke before clamping on the cap. I used Moog 295 ujoints that measure 1.1875 and the spread is 4.1875 like they are supposed to be. I checked a 1994 3500 and the yoke measures 4.188 on the money, so obviously there is something amiss. Was a converting ujoint ever used or may be the yoke has been changed to something else??? Anybody run into this?? Thanks Tad

Old 01-08-2019, 06:59 PM
AtomicDog
Record Breaker

The yoke could certainly have been changed. If so, a conversion U-joint may be required.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

You are concerned about a difference of 15 TEN thousandths on the spread? Really? U-joints simply aren't that precision of a device. They are supposed to be a bit of a tight fit, and the straps should press the caps into the yoke. If they don't, you either have the wrong straps, or the wrong yoke, or a bit of both. Can you post pics??

And where are the retainers? Are they the C clip style fellers that you put INSIDE yoke? (probably not....) or are they the fellers that you insert into the yoke on top of the caps??

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Moparite
Champion

One or two piece drive shaft? 4X2 4X4? Cross reference the moog number from the dana one.

https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Tad Wicks

Thanks Hey You, not .0015 but .0625 big difference, they are not that crude, if they were, why even balance a drive line?. The "94" rear yoke is right on at 4.188, the only ujoint that I can find so far that is 4.250 has an 1.627 cap and there is no way that works, so I wonder if it was machined wrong from the get go? at any rate it looks as though I will need a different yoke, seal is leaking anyway. It is a 2wd 2 piece driveline and the retainers are on the outside. Thanks again Tad

Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tad Wicks View Post
Thanks Hey You, not .0015 but .0625 big difference, they are not that crude, if they were, why even balance a drive line?. The "94" rear yoke is right on at 4.188, the only ujoint that I can find so far that is 4.250 has an 1.627 cap and there is no way that works, so I wonder if it was machined wrong from the get go? at any rate it looks as though I will need a different yoke, seal is leaking anyway. It is a 2wd 2 piece driveline and the retainers are on the outside. Thanks again Tad
My math skills are failing me.

I don't suppose some local parts store has a yoke sitting on the shelf for your truck, that you could compare yours to? I would like to think that Dodges quality control is better than what you are seeing there......

Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Tad Wicks

I am going to keep looking for a u joint but I have little faith that I am going to find what I need. I think that the yoke that I have is a mistake, a 275K mile mistake I will also look into a new yoke, will let you know

Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Moparite
Champion

3-4-14371-1 Is the dana/spicer part# for the yoke according to the dana breakdown.

https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/p...4-14371-1.html

Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Tad Wicks

Thank you sir I greatly appreciate the info and your efforts Tad

Old 01-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Tad Wicks

I figured this would keep me going probably good as new.

No not really, I saw this pic and thought that I would have some fun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: U-joint to differential yoke

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: