2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't start - just hear 1 click from engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Won't start - just hear 1 click from engine compartment

Just bought a 1995 ram 2500 V10 and it always started with one or two slow cranks and then started right up. Today on my way home from work the truck won't start. Just one click was heard. I turned on the headlights and left the door open to see if the dome and headlights would dim pointing to the battery, but they stood bright. I cleaned the +/- cables on the battery and still nothing. But every once in a while if I wiggled either the +/- cables I got the truck to start, then when I tried again, nothing. Looking for suggestions on where to start as I'm limited with any type of testing tools and 18 degree weather.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Check the power to the starter.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If you were already having slow cranking, I wouldn't be surprised if the starter didn't finally die.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:20 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Assuming the "ny" in the username stands for New York there is a good chance the wiring is rotted. Check the connections to the starter and the ground cable from the engine. If that checks out it's likely the starter.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:42 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

My bet is bad cable(s).

Old 01-28-2019, 02:11 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Thank you all for your input - here is where I'm at right now ...

My son-in-law came over with a meter and we checked to see if we could find any place where there was a drop in or loss of power. All checked out good, the battery, wiring looked okay, fuses, relays, etc. I tried starting the truck about 6 or more times and it started every time, but not without a couple slow cranks. We could not reproduce the problem. He also jumped the started terminals and it cranked.

He did want to take the +/- wires off the starter to clean them up, but the nut wouldn't come off. It seemed the threads they were screwed onto spun around also. So he just tightened them up again. Who knows, this might be the original starter. The truck only has 132,000 miles on it.

I'll probably wait for the next no start and recheck everything, but he recommended to replace the starter, since the battery was good and the engine still cranks slow on the first couple turns before it starts up.

Still open for suggestions, as getting a rebuilt locally from Napa is $130.00.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of meter did you test it with. This should be done with a load test meter designed for a 12 volt battery. Battery terminal clamps can easily be replaced, if you replace with the marine type brass units it will make for a better connection.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by Torxhead
What kind of meter did you test it with. This should be done with a load test meter designed for a 12 volt battery. Battery terminal clamps can easily be replaced, if you replace with the marine type brass units it will make for a better connection.
I asked him and he said he used a multi meter used for measuring electrical functions.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Check the power to the starter.
Yup, the starter is getting power.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:56 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you were already having slow cranking, I wouldn't be surprised if the starter didn't finally die.
It's starting okay now, but I'll find out tonight whether that will continue or become problematic again. I did order a starter today for $71.00, so I'm just gonna replace the one that's there as a precaution since it looks like it might be the original.

Quick Reply: Won't start - just hear 1 click from engine compartment