2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't start - just hear 1 click from engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Assuming the "ny" in the username stands for New York there is a good chance the wiring is rotted. Check the connections to the starter and the ground cable from the engine. If that checks out it's likely the starter.
Yup, from New York State, so the salt here in the winter is horrendous. I got to double check the grounds, but I did order a starter today for $71.00 and will be replacing it as soon as it gets here.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrainman
I'll probably wait for the next no start and recheck everything, but he recommended to replace the starter, since the battery was good and the engine still cranks slow on the first couple turns before it starts up.
Sounds about the same as my both vehicles, Dodge and Jeep, when the starter started to fail. Brushes were so worn, that they got hung up on them holders. For temporary fix before I got the new starter/parts (new starter for Jeep, new brushes for the Dodge), I took the starters apart and modified the brush holder so the brushes got better contact.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's either the starter or possibly a bad battery.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could just be the solenoid on the starter.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:01 AM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE: Well, I hope this thread will help someone, so here is the update and what I did to resolve the issue.

I replaced the starter, which was easy to do, and in doing so, while taking out the old starter, the positive wire slipped out of the ring terminal connected to the starter while I was trying to take the nut off. So I'm believing that the loose connection because of a bad crimp was possibly the cause of the slow crank before starting.

With that said, I didn't mind the expense of the new starter, since it was only $70.00, and the truck starts great now. I'll have the old starter tested and if it's in good condition, I'll save it as a spare. So a poorly crimped wire causing a bad connection seemed to be either part of the problem or the whole problem itself.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it was the connection. Few years ago, I was working on a truck which had a new starter, but still wouldn't start. All it did was click the relays and loose all the power from the cab. Release the key, and electrics came back. Went through all the connections, but everything was nice and tight, except little corrosion on battery posts. I've seen much worse and they still start with no problem. Cleaned the posts, and tried again. Same result, didn't start. My co-worker happened to walk by and yelled "Stop it!! Battery is smoking!". Turns out it was the terminal that was smoking. Replaced that terminal, and it started no problem. Wierd thing was that terminal had corrosion inside of it so bad, that you couldn't pull the cable off. But when tried to start, electric power turned into heat.
So long story short, sometimes electric gremlins are pita to find.

Glad you got it fixed.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrainman
UPDATE: Well, I hope this thread will help someone, so here is the update and what I did to resolve the issue.

I replaced the starter, which was easy to do, and in doing so, while taking out the old starter, the positive wire slipped out of the ring terminal connected to the starter while I was trying to take the nut off. So I'm believing that the loose connection because of a bad crimp was possibly the cause of the slow crank before starting.

With that said, I didn't mind the expense of the new starter, since it was only $70.00, and the truck starts great now. I'll have the old starter tested and if it's in good condition, I'll save it as a spare. So a poorly crimped wire causing a bad connection seemed to be either part of the problem or the whole problem itself.
I win (post #5), "cable(s) issue" ! Actually nyrainman wins Post #1 when nyrainman said "But every once in a while if I wiggled either the +/- cables I got the truck to start" was the key to his word problem. The starter contacts are a wear part, but wiggling the cables wouldn't affect it.

I'd go ahead and rip apart your spare starter in your nice warm basement/garage/kitchen table and inspect the contacts. Worn contacts are cheap to replace and the starter will likely be as good or better than your new one. This video is a good thorough one; most usually just replace the contacts. But the nonconductor parts and new posts are available new too.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I win (post #5), "cable(s) issue" ! Actually nyrainman wins Post #1 when nyrainman said "But every once in a while if I wiggled either the +/- cables I got the truck to start" was the key to his word problem. The starter contacts are a wear part, but wiggling the cables wouldn't affect it.

I'd go ahead and rip apart your spare starter in your nice warm basement/garage/kitchen table and inspect the contacts. Worn contacts are cheap to replace and the starter will likely be as good or better than your new one. This video is a good thorough one; most usually just replace the contacts. But the nonconductor parts and new posts are available new too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jtsG5CxDY

I read somewhere (can't find it now go figure ) that you can use to heavier contacts

Old 02-10-2019, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I read somewhere (can't find it now go figure ) that you can use to heavier contacts
Yeah, there are a couple companies that make "heavy duty" contacts for the starters. Google would turn them up.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I've seen them, but are they really worthwhile? Think how many times that starter turned before making those standard contacts look like that...

Quick Reply: Won't start - just hear 1 click from engine compartment