2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine rattle source

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:07 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts
Default engine rattle source

Thought I had a bad bearing in an accessory making a noise. Replaced the tensioner because it looked pretty tired, was bouncing, and the bearing in its pulley was noisy. Reassembled, rattle still there. Pulled the belt off, rattle still there. Seems to be loudest from right side of engine and in the front.

Then I noticed that it is only there at low rpm, when you spin the engine faster - goes away. I'm thinking maybe the timing chain is hitting the aluminum cover - included a short video for the sound I'm hearing.

Also, I noticed yesterday that the seal at the harmonic balancer is leaking. I'm thinking there is some metal bits getting torn off by the chain and it has built up enough to get caught in the seal - and that could be causing the leak.

Opinions?

Video for sound is here:

Old 02-04-2019, 04:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Thought I had a bad bearing in an accessory making a noise. Replaced the tensioner because it looked pretty tired, was bouncing, and the bearing in its pulley was noisy. Reassembled, rattle still there. Pulled the belt off, rattle still there. Seems to be loudest from right side of engine and in the front.

Then I noticed that it is only there at low rpm, when you spin the engine faster - goes away. I'm thinking maybe the timing chain is hitting the aluminum cover - included a short video for the sound I'm hearing.

Also, I noticed yesterday that the seal at the harmonic balancer is leaking. I'm thinking there is some metal bits getting torn off by the chain and it has built up enough to get caught in the seal - and that could be causing the leak.

Opinions?

Video for sound is here:

https://youtu.be/mvUEdZzgeFY
That sounds like exhaust me or a heat shield rattling. I don't think it's the timing chain. If it was it SHOULD do it no matter the RPM. I had the same issue and it was a fever bolt lose (one right by the tire) and a rusted out heat shield.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:32 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Quick google search...
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...g-timing-chain

Symptom number 5:

5. Engine rattles while idling

Unusual sounds are also a common warning sign of a problem inside your motor. Under normal conditions, the engine should have a consistent, smooth sound indicating everything is running as it should. However, when the timing chain is loose, it may cause a vibration inside the motor and that will produce a rattling noise as the engine idles.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Take off the distributor cap, roll the motor over by hand, put a wrench/socket on something, turn the motor backward until the rotor (in the distributor) starts to move. Then, turn the motor forward, until the rotor starts to move again. How far did it move? More than about 10-15 degrees, and the chain needs to be replaced.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Quick google search...
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...g-timing-chain

Symptom number 5:

5. Engine rattles while idling

Unusual sounds are also a common warning sign of a problem inside your motor. Under normal conditions, the engine should have a consistent, smooth sound indicating everything is running as it should. However, when the timing chain is loose, it may cause a vibration inside the motor and that will produce a rattling noise as the engine idles.
I'll be honest that would be the first I have seen. But I have seen many firsts lol
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take off the distributor cap, roll the motor over by hand, put a wrench/socket on something, turn the motor backward until the rotor (in the distributor) starts to move. Then, turn the motor forward, until the rotor starts to move again. How far did it move? More than about 10-15 degrees, and the chain needs to be replaced.
That may work if it's loose but I'm thinking it may have came slightly off of one of the gears

Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'll be honest that would be the first I have seen. But I have seen many firsts lol

That may work if it's loose but I'm thinking it may have came slightly off of one of the gears
It can't, unless it broke. And that would make some interesting noises.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I ordered this today, should pin point where the noise is coming from.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those scopes are pretty nice, especially for noises along you accessory belt. I've never tried, but would you be able to feel with your hand on the timing cover if it was slapping it? I would probably take the belt off first if I was gonna do it.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by racefan41
Those scopes are pretty nice, especially for noises along you accessory belt. I've never tried, but would you be able to feel with your hand on the timing cover if it was slapping it? I would probably take the belt off first if I was gonna do it.
Yeah, sticking your hand in there with the engine running could be FAR to exciting.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it'd be like the real life version of the game Operation

Quick Reply: engine rattle source