2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whistling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Chris Pruett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling Noise

Good Morning, I drive an 01 Ram 3500 Cummings with a 6 speed. Upon hard acceleration uphill or simply merging into traffic, there’s a whistling noise coming from the engine compartment. It’s faint at best and sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side. I’ve checked all innercooler boots and clamps, the turbo to innercooler clamp, replaced both graphite gaskets at the grid heater and even replaced the cap on the fuel filter housing. I’ve also verified that the small vacuum lines and rubber connections are in good shape. I’m the original owner and have done nothing in the way of adding performance upgrades. (Tuner, fancy exhaust, fancy air cleaner....etc) This truck has been well maintained using only OEM parts when needed. As a result of making sure the oil, air and fuel are always clean, I just turned 450,000 miles. That said, something is now causing this whistling noise and it’s got me baffled. The VP44 is the original one. Could I be looking at the possibility of losing an injector pump even though my pressures are within spec? What am I missing? Thank in advance.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Can you get it to whistle while sitting still?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Chris Pruett
Default Whistling Noise

No. At idle, there is no noise and accelerating in the driveway makes no noise.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well that makes it fun......

It may be an air leak in the intake tract somewhere, or, it maybe be something else..... Did you check the inlet stuff for the turbo as well?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Chris Pruett

I’ve gone through everything I know sir. I’ll retrace my steps. Maybe I missed something. I’ll start with the innercooler tubes and joints. I would think that would be the only place where pressure builds the most.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It may be on the vacuum side of the intake stuff. How old is your air filter?

Old 02-05-2019, 03:22 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Quick way to check the whole pressure side, is to remove rubber boots from the intake elbow and from the turbo. Then plug the rubber boot at the turbo with blank flange or what ever you can find, and same at the intake elbow but with a hole where you can snugly fit an air gun.
We have flanges at work, one blank and one with a quick connector, where you can fit pressure regulator. Then we just adjust the pressure to the max boost pressure, and look for leaks.

Btw, it's Cummins, no g in it

Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Chris Pruett

You’re right. There is no “g” in it. That’s where proofreading pays off. Apple apparently kicked out Cummins. I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks for your guys for your time.

Quick Reply: Whistling Noise