2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3 questions about 46RE fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 PM
100LL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions about 46RE fluid level

2001 Ram 1500 5.9 Magnum, 46RE.

-How much ATF does it take to go from MAX to MIN?

-The service manual says the engine must remain at curb idle for two minutes before checking. It also says to shift through the gears before checking. However, it doesn't say in what order to do these. Does it not matter? What do you guys do?

-When putting in the dipstick, there is a spot when it's installed where it likes to sit. However you're able to push it in a bit more, seemingly against a spring, which would make the dipstick go in another 1/4 inch or so, which is like half of the range from MIN to MAX. So when checking, do you insert the stick only to where it likes to sit, or press it in until it bottoms?

Only asking because I just did a drain, filter change, and fill. Now it's slow to shift (revs very high before kicking down) and it seems as though it's a bit low, but I'm not sure how much to add. I've been warming it up with a long drive (even though it's 5° F here), shifting through gears, letting it idle for 2 mins in neutral, then checking. Using this method, it's around MIN.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Have to check fluid level in neutral. Checking in park will give you an artificially high reading.

I *think* it's a PINT to go from the 'add' line, to 'full'.

Best bet is to have the engine/trans up to operating temp. Shift thru the gears once, (if you didn't simply drive it to get it warmed up.) Set the e-brake, trans in neutral, and check fluid. Push the stick all the way in. The 'spring' you feel, is likely the seal at the top of the stick. Gotta be on a level surface as well.....

Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the above and on level ground.Just a thought....................

Quick Reply: 3 questions about 46RE fluid level