2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking GM style battery conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I guess you haven't had the displeasure of removing them after they are corroded. The whole terminal turns with the screw, Then after you do get it off good luck cleaning them. I think they can't transfer as many amps as the standards either just due to the surface area it contacts the terminal.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I have had side post terminals corrode to the point of a no-start condition in the recent past. (wifes van.....) It isn't as prevalent as the top post batteries, but, it still happens.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Ah it's just a standard side post thought something was special about it. I think I'll keep my top posts just upgraded the connectors. I have a disk battery setup for attaching accessories
Its not a post, its a terminal. nothing sticking out, just a threaded hole and a flat spot for the cable to contact with. Someone mentioned you can screw in an adapter that turns it into a post, but then you're dealing with the clamp issues.

Right now, the clamp has stretched or the post has shrunk, and the issue is there is no more adjustment in the clamp - its bottomed out yet not tight. I picked up a set of these to compensate until it gets warm again - then I'll do it right.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have had side post terminals corrode to the point of a no-start condition in the recent past. (wifes van.....) It isn't as prevalent as the top post batteries, but, it still happens.
I've been using CRC battery terminal protector for years for top post batteries. Reapplied at oil changes, tends to keep things from corroding for a long while. On the GMs, maybe I'll take the terminals off and grease the contact - and maybe I'll spray a little terminal protector over it once its together. Nothing like I do for top post.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I've been using CRC battery terminal protector for years for top post batteries. Reapplied at oil changes, tends to keep things from corroding for a long while. On the GMs, maybe I'll take the terminals off and grease the contact - and maybe I'll spray a little terminal protector over it once its together. Nothing like I do for top post.

I bought a "kit" at Walmart. It came with the pads that go under the battery terminals and a spray by NOCO I think and never had anything corrode. I go through terminals like water because I am trying to find the perfect terminal to connect accessory wires to.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I bought a "kit" at Walmart. It came with the pads that go under the battery terminals and a spray by NOCO I think and never had anything corrode. I go through terminals like water because I am trying to find the perfect terminal to connect accessory wires to.
You should consider something like these... figure out what you need to connect, and multiple vendors sell all kinds of configurations.... They also do top post styles too if you're wedded to that idea; you won't find these walking around WalMart

Old 02-12-2019, 05:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
You should consider something like these... figure out what you need to connect, and multiple vendors sell all kinds of configurations.... They also do top post styles too if you're wedded to that idea; you won't find these walking around WalMart

I wired in a fuse box but I still have my winch wires connected. I tried those and nothing really looks clean in my opinion. Maybe I'll make some of my own

Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does nobody use the penny trick anymore??

Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
Does nobody use the penny trick anymore??
What is that?

Quick Reply: Thinking GM style battery conversion