2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking GM style battery conversion

Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Thinking GM style battery conversion

GM style side terminals just seem to have an clear advantage over top post setups for durability, corrosion avoidance, etc. Cables are available off the shelf, and are economical. They also have a superior mounting setup... but I'll probably have to slice that piece off the bottom side to get it into the mopar tray... anyone do this yet to a 2nd gen?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
GM style side terminals just seem to have an clear advantage over top post setups for durability, corrosion avoidance, etc. Cables are available off the shelf, and are economical. They also have a superior mounting setup... but I'll probably have to slice that piece off the bottom side to get it into the mopar tray... anyone do this yet to a 2nd gen?
I'm not familiar with that setup do you have a picture? I use an anti-corrosive spray

Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Been using CRC battery terminal protector spray for decades... this setup just seems superior. Usually convert tractors over to this, thinking my problem with the truck will be that plastic formed battery tray...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i can't say much about using side mount terminals on a 2nd gen but have been using then on my 81 and so far they have worked best. the top mount ones seem to always have more issues in 1 way or another. have had some corrode bad or have a bad connection. with side terminal i have not seen either of these issues pop up in the last 7+ years. plus if you buy a dual post battery it can give you more options to hook things up or it can make it easier if you ever need a boost or to give a boost.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Hmmm... I never liked the top posts hanging out when you had side terminals as well - so I never bought one that way and paid a little extra for a less universal battery... BUT I did notice that configuration is sold for the 2nd gen ram application - so maybe it would fit in the battery tray w/o modification. I don't think I need 4 connection areas on the battery - this truck has manual everything, but it would make it an easy conversion.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i just always find the side terminals more of a pain to boost off of especially if you got easy access to top posts. plus it is not like it hurts to have the extra posts. i got a whole bunch of extra grounds hooked to the 1 and it makes adding stuff like amps or other things easier.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure how true this is but someone told me gm dropped the side terminal due to battery acid leakage concerns. I wouldn't go out of my way to do a conversion. Battery gassing is a big factor in battery terminal corrosion. have the battery and charging system checked and if its ok...apply an inhibitor spray on the posts. I use white lithium grease as I have a whack of it.

Be happy we went with negative grd systems or else every body grd would have that ash build up.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

gm has been using side post terminals since the 70's. i really don't see side post batteries leaking any more or less than an average top post battery unless they are making them that cheap. if you need a new battery and connector i would do the conversions. i even find the bolt that clamps the terminal together on top posts usually rusts or something and you end up fighting with it the next time you have to disconnect the battery for some reason. i think GM probably switched back to top post batteries to make things simpler and standard. whether it is a good or bad thing it is hard to say. no one really cares if it lasts. they just have to make it past warranty and then it is your problem lol

Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Ah it's just a standard side post thought something was special about it. I think I'll keep my top posts just upgraded the connectors. I have a disk battery setup for attaching accessories

Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked into these...inexpensive, no new cables, and a place to still jump off of if needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking GM style battery conversion