2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

426 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Benoit

I'm not doing this for top end, this is for my truck and I'm going for more bottom end torque than anything else which is why the longer stroke, I do like the Mopar setup but will need to get bigger injectors to support it however depending on which way my finances go I may go with the 408 but needless to say and I still have to deal with the PCM as it is different than non PCM, I understand and respect all replies, comments and advises that you all have and it will help me with decisions on which way I will go. I am dealing with Hughes Engines and also going to check out a few places the do PCM programming and see what my options are
Hopefully Hughes didn't screw you like they did everyone else.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:28 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not doing this for top end, this is for my truck and I'm going for more bottom end torque than anything else which is why the longer stroke, I do like the Mopar setup but will need to get bigger injectors to support it however depending on which way my finances go I may go with the 408 but needless to say and I still have to deal with the PCM as it is different than non PCM, I understand and respect all replies, comments and advises that you all have and it will help me with decisions on which way I will go. I am dealing with Hughes Engines and also going to check out a few places the do PCM programming and see what my options are
If you convert to obd2, avoid hughes for tuning. They go through PIE and you could probably blind tune a carb better

Old 02-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Gary Benoit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Hopefully Hughes didn't screw you like they did everyone else.
I have only read good reviews from them

Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I have only read good reviews from them
When I was looking at parts for my engine build I found some pretty bad reviews which made me stay away. I'm not saying they are bad just I don't want to take a chance lol

Old 02-18-2023, 01:37 PM
Wook

Hi I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I'm going to be rebuilding my 5.9L Magnum 360 into a 426 Stroker and would like to know if there is a PCM mod for this or would the stock PCM accept the motor just fine. I know 96 and up being OBD2 have flash mods for it however this is a 95 and OBD1
What all did you have to do when you put in the stroker kit? What cams and heads did you run? Bc I thought about buying the Hughes 426 stoker for my Dakota rt and continually using it as a daily after I rebuild it this summer

Old 02-18-2023, 02:09 PM
staycool72
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wook
What all did you have to do when you put in the stroker kit? What cams and heads did you run? Bc I thought about buying the Hughes 426 stoker for my Dakota rt and continually using it as a daily after I rebuild it this summer
I ended up doing a 408 Stroker instead due to the fact that the 426 Stroker is for race only and there is a lot that would need to go into it and would not be suitable for daily use, I put the EdelBrock Performer RPM Heads on, The Cam and Lifter set I got from Competition Cams 221/225 @.50 Duration .507/.533 Lift, T-Bar Lifters, the Stroker Kit was put in at the Machine Shop when they did the block, I got the Stroker kit from Hughes, almost finished assembling the motor as it took a long time at the Machine Shop

The following 2 users liked this post by staycool72:
PR1AWRet (02-19-2023), Wook (02-18-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 01:28 PM
mharrington

New member here saying hello. So I too am contemplating the 426 stroker kit because its flat out cool. My pro street Dakota 1995 will have a tunnel ram and 2 Edelbrock carbs. Im gonna mildly port and polish some new Chinese EQ heads with the LA intake bolt pattern. I realize the 426 stroker is not recommended for nitrous which is a little bummer. The BluePrint 408 assembled shortblock would be fine for me. What are members with 1995 era 2wd Dakotas using for an extra capacity oil pan and windage tray for stroker magnums?

Quick Reply: 426 Stroker