2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting/Stalling/Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

May also be a failing tps, or low fuel pressure.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Project Everything
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I didn't get around to checking the TPS last night. I have a little bit of a high idle/inconsistent idle so I figured it may be a culprit. I will run my gauge to my cab and take note of the fuel pressure while driving as well.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Project Everything

Been battling an illness the past couple days, but I will be diagnosing the truck again tonight for an update.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Project Everything
Been battling an illness the past couple days, but I will be diagnosing the truck again tonight for an update.
Stay inside, get better, worry about it then.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 AM
Project Everything

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Stay inside, get better, worry about it then.
Same thing the fiance has been telling me, lol.

Well, tonight I decided to check the health of the engine itself to make sure I wasn't doing all of this for nothing. Pulled out the compression tester and found some concerning figures.
All Cylinders besides #2 were between 115-120PSI dry and 150-165PSI wet.
CYL. 2 registered 110PSI dry and 150PSI wet.

It would appear that I have a worn out motor. I believe minimum is 100 or 110PSI, but do not quote me on that. I'm tempted to just drive the truck the way it is until it either finally dies, or I find a good deal on a 5.9L/NV4500 combo (5.7L and 6SPD if I'm feeling brave).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see too much sense in feeding what looks to be a soon dead horse. My ultimate goal was to finally have another reliable work truck/mild street truck as my old 383 k15. I never intended on keeping the 318 or automatic tranny being the deal I got on this thing; however I do need it to survive as long as possible.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:17 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Same thing the fiance has been telling me, lol.

Well, tonight I decided to check the health of the engine itself to make sure I wasn't doing all of this for nothing. Pulled out the compression tester and found some concerning figures.
All Cylinders besides #2 were between 115-120PSI dry and 150-165PSI wet.
CYL. 2 registered 110PSI dry and 150PSI wet.

It would appear that I have a worn out motor. I believe minimum is 100 or 110PSI, but do not quote me on that. I'm tempted to just drive the truck the way it is until it either finally dies, or I find a good deal on a 5.9L/NV4500 combo (5.7L and 6SPD if I'm feeling brave).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see too much sense in feeding what looks to be a soon dead horse. My ultimate goal was to finally have another reliable work truck/mild street truck as my old 383 k15. I never intended on keeping the 318 or automatic tranny being the deal I got on this thing; however I do need it to survive as long as possible.
Sell the Chevy and fix the Dodge better truck anyhow

Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, 100 is minimum, and all cylinders should be within 25% of each other. Sounds like your rings are toast.....

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Project Everything

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Sell the Chevy and fix the Dodge better truck anyhow
Unfortunately I sold that truck years ago Have been wanting to do another build ever since.

So, here's my game plan. I'm not usually a believer in the "mechanic in a bottle"; however, I looked at a lot of reviews and videos of Restore's engine compression restorer. After seeing some of the oddly incredible differences, I have decided to try it. So far day one the engine is running smoother and has not stalled out on my drive to/from work. It would normally stall atleast 3 times or sputter. I will wait a month and do another compression test. If numbers look better I will change the oil and add it in again with my usual Lucas oil stabilizer. I mean, can't really hurt it much more if anything.

Further tonight I will be gutting the cat. conv. (not sure how old it is, probably factory), checking some more of my wiring, and fixing some interior. Not in that order, or a guarantee on all, but baby steps.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Unfortunately I sold that truck years ago Have been wanting to do another build ever since.

So, here's my game plan. I'm not usually a believer in the "mechanic in a bottle"; however, I looked at a lot of reviews and videos of Restore's engine compression restorer. After seeing some of the oddly incredible differences, I have decided to try it. So far day one the engine is running smoother and has not stalled out on my drive to/from work. It would normally stall atleast 3 times or sputter. I will wait a month and do another compression test. If numbers look better I will change the oil and add it in again with my usual Lucas oil stabilizer. I mean, can't really hurt it much more if anything.

Further tonight I will be gutting the cat. conv. (not sure how old it is, probably factory), checking some more of my wiring, and fixing some interior. Not in that order, or a guarantee on all, but baby steps.
Look up project darn on YouTube he did a test with seafoam and it did improve his compression

Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Project Everything

So, reviving my old thread for a very overdue update. Switching jobs, getting married, blah, blah, life. I figured it may help someone else in the same boat.
I've narrowed it down to the ECU a couple months ago. It has been randomly cutting power/shorting internally. It is skewing the ignition timing and giving me random spark knock or backfires as well.
Mixed with the dying motor, fire ridden cab/interior, failing torque converter, sloppy steering, and bad front end, I honestly can't complain about this truck. It has refused to quit, and I have abused/worked the **** out of it the past couple months.

With this being said. I found a sweet deal on a 1990 Cherokee 5 Speed. Downside, has the 4 banger and a burned up engine wiring harness. Upside? Low miles on Built tranny, built transfer case, stage 2 clutch, lift, new 33's, and chromoly front axle shaft kit. Rear pans have been replaced, rest of unibody is good. I will be replacing the wiring harness in the engine bay and using it for a daily. Guy had plans to 350 SBC swap it, but never got that far.

The truck will be set to the side for a back up/emergency vehicle for now while I collect my ideas and parts for it. Debating to SAS (custom setup obviously), powered with a 408 stroker, with a built NV4500 behind it. I may also decide to make it a street truck in which case the powerplant will be far more up to date. It's up in the air. But, for the time being, I will be retiring the truck until further notice.

Also, the lady was oddly on board with picking up yet another project... I should probably be more concerned than I am.

Quick Reply: Starting/Stalling/Fuel Problem