2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with diagnosis.

Alright, I was driving down the freeway bout 65mph. Felt a grab that dropped me 5mph, then 10sec later the rpms started to slowly drop followed the truck sputtering, dropped to 200-500rpms still sputtering (about 2-3sec intervals) but ran for another 2min maybe before dying. It would start, rpms jump up to 600ish and then straight back down and died(gas didn't make a difference). Waited 10mins, started up, ran for about 3min with good ideal then sputter and died. Waited 30min and tried again. Idled good for 10min, drove another 1/4mi and slowly died again. Towed it home and gotta figure out something tomorrow, so any ideas are appreciated and I could definitely use some help on where to start with. The only problem I had previously was my hazards/turn signal fuse blew twice in the past 3days. 2nd time it blew with this issue. But I ran the codes and here's what I got.
o2 sensor/low voltage
High voltage
O2 senor/ heater circuit malfunction
Random cylinder misfire
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 5 misfire
Camshaft postion sensor
Large evap leak
Gov. Press. Above 3psi when request is 0psi
Gov press sensor offset/improper voltage
Gov press. High voltage.
The only one I knew was on there before this incident was the o2 sensors(I have no cat). No leaks as far as I can tell and the gauges all read good. So any and all ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance for yalls time.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by smoky614
Alright, I was driving down the freeway bout 65mph. Felt a grab that dropped me 5mph, then 10sec later the rpms started to slowly drop followed the truck sputtering, dropped to 200-500rpms still sputtering (about 2-3sec intervals) but ran for another 2min maybe before dying. It would start, rpms jump up to 600ish and then straight back down and died(gas didn't make a difference). Waited 10mins, started up, ran for about 3min with good ideal then sputter and died. Waited 30min and tried again. Idled good for 10min, drove another 1/4mi and slowly died again. Towed it home and gotta figure out something tomorrow, so any ideas are appreciated and I could definitely use some help on where to start with. The only problem I had previously was my hazards/turn signal fuse blew twice in the past 3days. 2nd time it blew with this issue. But I ran the codes and here's what I got.
o2 sensor/low voltage
High voltage
O2 senor/ heater circuit malfunction
Random cylinder misfire
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 5 misfire
Camshaft postion sensor
Large evap leak
Gov. Press. Above 3psi when request is 0psi
Gov press sensor offset/improper voltage
Gov press. High voltage.
The only one I knew was on there before this incident was the o2 sensors(I have no cat). No leaks as far as I can tell and the gauges all read good. So any and all ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance for yalls time.
I would look into the camshaft position sensor problem as that will cause it to die

Old 02-17-2019, 12:27 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

And make sure it's a Mopar one. I went through an O'Reileys, and 2 NAPA, and replaced all of the sensors, fuel pump, filters, etc. on my Jeep (95 XJ) before I broke down and bought a Mopar CPS. Started right up. As you can see, it can get expensive chasing that ghost. Also with my truck, rebuilt the transmission and didn't change the CPS, it didn't move. It didn't start so went out and got a Mopar one and again started right up.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

There's a video on youtube "how to test a cam sensor with a voltmeter" that might be of help. However there are two error codes with voltages out of range so possibly there is some other problem, e.g. 12V getting onto the 5V sensor supply. Might be worthwhile looking into why the turn signal fuse blew.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:17 PM
smoky614
Professional

Sorry for not getting back to you but I ran a test on the camshaft sensor, came back good. Reset the engine light, only thing that came back was so far is my o2 sensor. She's running good(as much as I've drove it anyways) although I blew another fuse in the first 10min, so I guess I'm on the hunt for a short. Wish me luck!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

My Mopar CPS that was original that crapped on me tested good but didn't work until the new Mopar CPS was installed.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 PM
smoky614
Professional

Thanks for the heads up. But I just found another symptom, let me know if it sounds familiar. I found a couple of shorts back near the tail lights, patched'em, fixed the fuse blowing problem. But after a couple days of driving she started dying on me again like the first time. Although after it died I was able to start it and stayed running, idled fairly good. Till I touched the gas, then it'd drop to 100 or 200rpms, back up when I let off. Struck me as a little odd! And I did finally get another code to come back on.
p01757 - gov press. Above 3psi at 0mph.

Last edited by smoky614; 02-24-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Check your fuel pressure.

Clear the codes, see if that one comes back.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:14 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check your fuel pressure.
When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Have you checked the pre cat O2 sensors? Unplug them and see how it runs, this will keep you in open loop where most of the sensors aren't being used for fuel management.This will keep it running rich but driveable. It should drive normally. Have you checked the intake manifold for the air leaking problem? Common on these V8 engines. Have the cats been gutted yet? To me something happened to the cats and that's why the after cat O2 sensors have been disconnected. Or the after cat O2 sensors were shot and just disconnected.

Has the battery been disconnected for half a hour to reset the computer to see how it runs?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:45 PM
smoky614
Professional

Alright, might be a stupid question but here it goes. I hooked up the gauge to the fuel line but it didn't move, I mean not a bit. But the truck will start everytime, then die shortly after. But if it wasn't getting any pressure would it even start? Gauge is like new, and I'm getting fuel out of the valve. And after I tested the fuel I ran the codes on more time before resetting them again and the camshaft sensor is back on there(thinking it might be from starting and dieing 10 times in a row). I'm resetting it again just for good faith. As for the cat, I don't have one so that ain't the problem. And I don't hear or feel any gasket leaks.

Quick Reply: Help with diagnosis.