2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Cam Daniels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question

In my 1994 2500 the overhead console temperature always reads 0°C I cant find a sensor under the hood for it does someone know where I can get one and what i need? And also will it change it back to farenheit?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Sensor should be next to a lower corner of the drivers side headlight. Connector might be dangling some down there if there is no sensor connected. Sensor can be bought from Rockauto for example.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

If the sensor was not connected it would say OC (open circuit) You should be able to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit with one of the buttons. The ambient air sensor is what you need to replace IF it's bad. The problem may be with console read out itself.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:31 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Just got myself a good laugh I've had my truck over 13 years, and that overhead console temp reading has never worked. Sometimes it shows readings like -40 degrees celcius or something crazy when temperature is on a plus side. Sensor is broken, no big deal, I thought.
Tonight I thought that what if I get a new sensor for it, and started to look for it as I knew that it isn't where it should be. Can't be too far, wires have only so much slack from the loom. Didn't take too much time to find it jammed under the washer reservoir. Just the connector, no sensor. For a second I was like what the heck, but quickly realised that the connector is dirty, and sometimes when there is just a right amount of moist, the display shows some weird reading. Other times it does not show zero celcius, it's says open circuit

Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Just got myself a good laugh I've had my truck over 13 years, and that overhead console temp reading has never worked. Sometimes it shows readings like -40 degrees celcius or something crazy when temperature is on a plus side. Sensor is broken, no big deal, I thought.
Tonight I thought that what if I get a new sensor for it, and started to look for it as I knew that it isn't where it should be. Can't be too far, wires have only so much slack from the loom. Didn't take too much time to find it jammed under the washer reservoir. Just the connector, no sensor. For a second I was like what the heck, but quickly realised that the connector is dirty, and sometimes when there is just a right amount of moist, the display shows some weird reading. Other times it does not show zero celcius, it's says open circuit
LOLOL. That would certainly explain a lot, now wouldn't it? Clean the connector good before plugging in the new sensor. Just out of idle curiosity, is the old sensor still there, and simply unplugged? FSM should show where it is supposed to be.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Nope, sensor is missing. Should be on a core support, drivers side next to a headlamp.

Quick Reply: Dumb question