2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Additional Maintenance questions - No issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

It's at the rear of the engine, transmission torque converter is bolted to it. Now I can't remember that is there a removable dustshield in front of the bellhousing which provides access to a flexplate...

Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Slightly brutal, but quick way to loosen the bolt is to place the breaker bar handle against the frame, and crank the engine with the starter. CAUTION!!! You need to be absolutely certain that you have placed the breaker bar in correct position, because if you get it wrong, there is a serious risk of injury, either man or machine!

Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
It's at the rear of the engine, transmission torque converter is bolted to it. Now I can't remember that is there a removable dustshield in front of the bellhousing which provides access to a flexplate...
There is.

OP, best way is the way I did it. Get a long bar on the ratchet and just loosen it really quickly in one quick motion.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 PM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
There is.

OP, best way is the way I did it. Get a long bar on the ratchet and just loosen it really quickly in one quick motion.
Thank you guys for the advice and help!

Mopar I did that and it actually worked. The main bolt didn’t need much force at all.. really odd. Now I just need the puller tool and I can call it a day there. I’ve been lucky this far, maybe just cause it’s st Patrick’s day. But my luck slipped a little:

I was cleaning the plenum valley of debris so that I didn’t have to worry about pulling the plenum and getting stuff into the engine. I decided to loosen the bolts to make it easier for me when I get it all done. The very front right bolt broke, snapped at about 1/4th the length. I didn’t even apply that much force at all. Not really sure what to do now. I don’t have a drill and tap set so I can’t get it out. Any recommendations? How would y’all do it?

I showed a picture of my injectors a couple of posts back. Only the front left two are like that.. should I replace them?

Also what is the best way to clean the machined mating surfaces where the gaskets go so I don’t ruin them? Just some cleaner and a small scrubber?

Thanks again y’all I’m definitely making some progress!

Last edited by potentshadow; 03-17-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by potentshadow

Thank you guys for the advice and help!

Mopar I did that and it actually worked. The main bolt didn’t need much force at all.. really odd. Now I just need the puller tool and I can call it a day there. I’ve been lucky this far, maybe just cause it’s st Patrick’s day. But my luck slipped a little:

I was cleaning the plenum valley of debris so that I didn’t have to worry about pulling the plenum and getting stuff into the engine. I decided to loosen the bolts to make it easier for me when I get it all done. The very front right bolt broke, snapped at about 1/4th the length. I didn’t even apply that much force at all. Not really sure what to do now. I don’t have a drill and tap set so I can’t get it out. Any recommendations? How would y’all do it?

I showed a picture of my injectors a couple of posts back. Only the front left two are like that.. should I replace them?

Also what is the best way to clean the machined mating surfaces where the gaskets go so I don’t ruin them? Just some cleaner and a small scrubber?

Thanks again y’all I’m definitely making some progress!

Do you have a welder?
Personally that's up to you
Scotch Brite pad and brake cleaner

Glad I could help!

Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Do you have a welder?
Personally that's up to you
Scotch Brite pad and brake cleaner

Glad I could help!

I do not :/ honestly not sure I’d even be comfortable with one around the engine lol. I could try and drill it out I think? There is a guy in my neighbor hood that is a mobile welder. I’ll call him up maybe and ask how much he would charge to get it out. Interestingly enough it looks like it cleared the cover.. it might just be stuck in the block.. which means I could probably pull the plenum but not put it back in until it gets pulled out.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM
HeikIlm
Captain

I do not :/ honestly not sure I’d even be comfortable with one around the engine lol. I could try and drill it out I think? There is a guy in my neighbor hood that is a mobile welder. I’ll call him up maybe and ask how much he would charge to get it out. Interestingly enough it looks like it cleared the cover.. it might just be stuck in the block.. which means I could probably pull the plenum but not put it back in until it gets pulled out.
Been there, done that. When I fixed the plenum, I manage to snap right front and rear left studs. Rear one I got out by heating it glowing red with induction heater, and carefully turning it back and forth, adding penetrating oil, and finally threads were clean enough to turn it out.
Front one I had to drill out because it snapped flush with the block. Unfortunately I didn't have correct tap, so now there's a metric thread on that one.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Been there, done that. When I fixed the plenum, I manage to snap right front and rear left studs. Rear one I got out by heating it glowing red with induction heater, and carefully turning it back and forth, adding penetrating oil, and finally threads were clean enough to turn it out.
Front one I had to drill out because it snapped flush with the block. Unfortunately I didn't have correct tap, so now there's a metric thread on that one.
That does not sound fun at all... lol damn I feel bad Heikllm. If I may ask what did you use to drill it out? Do you think a battery powered drill would be powerfull enough to get it out or do I need to invest in air tools?

Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

That does not sound fun at all... lol damn I feel bad Heikllm. If I may ask what did you use to drill it out? Do you think a battery powered drill would be powerfull enough to get it out or do I need to invest in air tools?
Battery would be enough., me I just weld a nut on and zip it out. When I changed my plenum no bolts broke on me

Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Battery power. Air drill is so last century tool
Keep the drill perpendicular to the broken stud, and before you start drilling, mark the center with the center punch. Start with small drill bit, it's easier to keep it straight (perpendicular). I usually staer with small, then take the middle size and lastly correct size for the thread. Sometimes it goes so spot on, that I can pry off the actual thread! But usually I just chase the threads with the tap, and blow the shavings off with compressed air.

Quick Reply: Additional Maintenance questions - No issues