2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Additional Maintenance questions - No issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you don't have a head gasket/head problem at the moment, don't worry about it right now. Save your pennies, and when you have enough cash layin' around, deal with it then. If the truck hasn't been driven for some time, probably a lot of little things are gong to want attention. So, deal with maintenance, and the broke stuff first, and see if any other major components are going to be wanting attention, before diving into those that currently don't.

Okay sounds logical! I will run a compression test as soon as I get a tester and I will let you know what it says.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:50 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Hey guys!

Wanted to share my first day on and off progress. Overall I am pretty satisfied for only working on it for a few hours. Ran into a couple of snags. My longest one being the waterpump/fan. The big nut that you use a wrench on would NOT budge no matter what I did. Tension on the belt prying something in there didn't matter. Got to a point where the belt slipped and from there I could not get the fan off. Ended up unbolting the 4 bolts on the back of the fan and moving it back so I could clear the shroud. Gave me so much room. So right now I have a floppy fan still connected to the water pump pulley. My plan is to replace the water pump anyway so I want to maybe get it off and put it into a vice or something to get the fan and fan clutch off. I think that's possible?

When I finally got the throttle body off I peaked inside and.. yea its bad. Lots of oil. Looks like a lot of it has been there for awhile as well. My spark plugs are rusted and look like they have not been changed in years. Throttle body didn't even have a gasket. If it did its disintegrated. The water inlet pipe was rusted to all hell and the gasket was also gone. I had to stop because its raining here. Should I tackle the water pump next before I go after the plenum? I am sort of concerned about how dirty the throttle body is.

I

Old 03-17-2019, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,939 Posts

I put a big wrench on the fan nut, and smacked it with a hammer a couple times. (belt still in place) Came loose after the second hit, then threaded off by hand.

Clean the throttle body while you have it off.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:36 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I put a big wrench on the fan nut, and smacked it with a hammer a couple times. (belt still in place) Came loose after the second hit, then threaded off by hand.

Clean the throttle body while you have it off.
Haha you're not kidding! It's super dirty. Might replace the IAC as well. GM only right? It just looks a bit old and rusty.

Here are some more photos. Got the water pump off with the fan still attached. Gotta make a game plan to tackle that but I have other things to get to before I do that. Honestly it looks like the water pump was replaced in recent years, however the gasket (or lack there of) was bad... I have also attached a picture of the timing cover pulley. I have not seen this one, it has a main bolt and several smaller bolts around it. What tool should I be using for that? Autozone has two of them, none of them look like they would work.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:31 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Those six bolts hold the pulley on the damper. To remove the damper you'll need to only remove that center bolt. But depends on what kind of puller you are using, might need to remove pulley from the damper, too.

Gaskets tend rip apart when parts are removed, especially when they are glued in place. Which seems to be the case on water pump gasket.

About gluing the gasket; I either use few daps here and there to hold it in place if there's no alignment pins which hold gasket. But if the part goes to some tricky and hard to reach place, I tend to glue the whole gasket so I don't rip it.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-17-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Mopar IAC please. You'd have fun getting a gm unit to work.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:23 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Thanks for the replies guys. So I got the pulley off. The damper keeps spinning so I cannot loosen the middle bolt. I need to get that out before I can use a puller correct?

Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Yes, bolt secures the damper to the crankshaft, so you have to remove it first. And you need to lock the engine to keep it from spinning in order to remove the bolt. What transmission you have, auto or manual?

Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Nevermind the tranny question, you said it on first post. You need someone to keep engine to spinning, by inserting prybar between the flexplate and the engine block.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:56 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Nevermind the tranny question, you said it on first post. You need someone to keep engine to spinning, by inserting prybar between the flexplate and the engine block.

oh.. that sounds fun.. do you by chance have a picture of that? Or perhaps a decent video because I cannot seem to locate it. I’m not Sure where the flex plate is lmao.

Quick Reply: Additional Maintenance questions - No issues