2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Evap smoke test

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Chrissoup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it set to exact opposite positon. So the oil pump shaft needs point to cylinder 1 as well right.

Last edited by Chrissoup; 03-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The PCM needs to know which cylinder is in firing position, so it can fire the correct injector, thus, 'fuel sync'. Without the cam position sensor, the PCM won't know where the engine is in it's rotation, only that it is indeed turning. Fuel Sync needs to be within plus or minus 7 degrees for then engine to run best. You can likely get it 'close enough' to run setting it by hand, but, checking it with a scanner that can read that particular data, is a VERY good idea.
Side note:
There's an interesting video on youtube from scannerdanner where he's troubleshooting a 2002 2500 that doesn't want to start once it's warmed up. He states the cam sensor is only used on startup. If you look at the "pulse ring" it's actually only 180 degree on and 180 degree off, no signal for individual cylinders so it can't really aid in timing injectors.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Side note:
There's an interesting video on youtube from scannerdanner where he's troubleshooting a 2002 2500 that doesn't want to start once it's warmed up. He states the cam sensor is only used on startup. If you look at the "pulse ring" it's actually only 180 degree on and 180 degree off, no signal for individual cylinders so it can't really aid in timing injectors.
It tells the PCM when number 1, or number 6 are coming into firing position. The service manual flatly states this. Try a quick experiment. Start your engine, unplug the cam sensor. Watch what happens.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 AM
Chrissoup
Default Dizzy positon

So i set crank to tdc made sure cylinder one was at the top. Also made the oil pick up gear point to cylinder one. Seems run decent now no kicking or shaking. But it still not same postion as it was on my old engine when i swapped it. Another isssue is that my coolant temp seems to rise and then go back normal sometimes right in between overheating and normal operating temp.

It is pointing to passenger side not sure why my camera flipped it

Is this to much oil pressure?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrissoup
So i set crank to tdc made sure cylinder one was at the top. Also made the oil pick up gear point to cylinder one. Seems run decent now no kicking or shaking. But it still not same postion as it was on my old engine when i swapped it. Another isssue is that my coolant temp seems to rise and then go back normal sometimes right in between overheating and normal operating temp.

It is pointing to passenger side not sure why my camera flipped it

Is this to much oil pressure?
If that's at idle, DEFINITELY! lol

Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Originally Posted by Chrissoup
So i set crank to tdc made sure cylinder one was at the top. Also made the oil pick up gear point to cylinder one. Seems run decent now no kicking or shaking. But it still not same postion as it was on my old engine when i swapped it.
Don't worry about the absolute position of the distributor, the whole sync procedure makes sure it sits right relative to the crankshaft and sends the right signal at the right time.

Just out of curiosity, what year is the truck ? There have been some changes to the ECM programming after 96 that change how the cam position sensor is used.

Last edited by DerTruck; 03-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Chrissoup

Its a 97

Old 04-06-2019, 03:07 AM
DerTruck
All Star

Hmm 97 should need the cam sensor only for starting, based on this article: https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/052001_07.pdf The article mentions that the crank and cam sensors are used to check each other for problems. So maybe that was the issue.

Now that it's warmer I might try to see if the engine on my 2001 keeps running without the cam sensor.

Quick Reply: Evap smoke test