2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 Ram 5.9L Rough Idle, Backfiring, Codes 37 and 51

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good news to hear,was that an oem crank sensor or aftermarket?

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That green line is just a vent line for the 4x4 vacuum stuff. It's fine. It looked like there was a black line up there that was broke off though??? Or did I hallucinate that?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 PM
ktbass
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torxhead
Good news to hear,was that an oem crank sensor or aftermarket?
It's a 94 that I've owned since 99 and I've never replaced it before. Assuming it was the original one. The new one I installed was an aftermarket one from Amazon.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 PM
ktbass
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That green line is just a vent line for the 4x4 vacuum stuff. It's fine. It looked like there was a black line up there that was broke off though??? Or did I hallucinate that?
Haha, I didn't notice anything else unplugged. It was probably just the crank sensor wire. I that video I didn't have it fully installed yet. I'll pop my head back under there though and check again because you have me worried

Old 03-30-2019, 02:25 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

nice to see the crank sensor fixed it, you should be good to go for awhile. Now I'll know what to change if my truck ever does the same. I wouldn't worry about the trans code either, computer may just see that missing temp sensor that wasn't included anyway and think it's bad as that site said.

The only things that "could" go wrong on mine that'd actually affect running/driving in a major way since I haven't changed them out are crank sensor, ignition coil, coolant temp sensor, and reluctor under the dist. cap, I believe I've changed out everything else major either during tuneup, or for good measure.

My engine does burn approx 0.75 Qt of oil per ~1000 miles, but hell, some newer vehicles use more than that, it's been a welcome change to have something I can count on to be reliable after a string of very junky problem riddled cars I had in years prior.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:50 AM
ktbass
Amateur

I didn't see an "introduce yourself" in the 2nd gen forum (haven't looked at other forums).

So thought I'd post some pictures of my truck.

It's a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Originally it had a 5.2L, but I upgraded to a 5.9L about 10 years ago.
I have a 3" Rancho suspension lift and 3" body lift
36" x 14.5" x 15" Mickey Thompson Baja Belted and Mickey Thompson wheels 15"x10", forgot the model...
I've had 4.56 gears installed and a transmission cooler.

Most of the work I paid someone else to do while I was in high school and college, but the past 10 years or so I've done all the work which has just been maintenance things like I've mentioned in the original post.

The next thing I'd like to focus on is getting some seat covers, dash cap, new carpet, and putting new fabric on the headliner. Hoping that this thing will stay in good shape mechanically after replacing a lot of the major components recently.

Oh and I'll be putting on some nerf bars soon...getting in and out of the truck is getting more difficult the older I get, lol.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Nice truck. Love the hood.

Couple places offer replacement upper dashboards, more expensive than a cap, but, a much more permanent solution. (LMC Truck, and Geno's Garage)

Quick Reply: 94 Ram 5.9L Rough Idle, Backfiring, Codes 37 and 51