2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Storm Chaser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem?

2002 2500 diesel. Engine would go dead when I tilted the steering wheel all the way up and wouldn't start and all the dash lights and gauges wouldn't operate also. Lower the steering wheel and everything returned to normal. Started truck this morning and lifted steering wheel upwards to exit truck and is went dead and now won't do anything at any level of the steering wheel. Anybody else had this problem?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Didn't have the issue myself but seen it mentioned on various forums. You need to look at the wiring harness along the steering column, starting at the ignition switch.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yep, the harnesses that go up the column, aren't quite long enough...... When the steering is tilted all the way up, it pulls the wires out of the various connectors. My 96 had that problem...... tilt the wheel all the way up, and you would lose headlights, and turnsignals...... (which is the way my wife liked to drive it.....)

Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, the harnesses that go up the column, aren't quite long enough...... When the steering is tilted all the way up, it pulls the wires out of the various connectors. My 96 had that problem...... tilt the wheel all the way up, and you would lose headlights, and turnsignals...... (which is the way my wife liked to drive it.....)
Lol

Quick Reply: Ignition problem?