2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter will only line 3 bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Eric Dishong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter will only line 3 bolts

I have a 95 dodge ram 5.9 4x4. And I can only get 3 of the bolts to line up on my torque conveter and flex plate

Last edited by Eric Dishong; 04-25-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I believe the flexplate/converter only bolts up one way. Since it doesn't sound like the converter/flexplate orientation was marked before you installed the transmission, take all three bolts out of the converter and use just one bolt to connect the flexplate to the converter and check to see if the other three bolt holes line up by turning the motor. If not, remove the bolt and shift the converter over by a bolt hole on the flexplate and try again until you find the correct alignment.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Eric Dishong

So i tried turning the coverter over 90 degrees at a time and i did it way more the 4 times and there is still one whole off. How bad would it be if i drilled the hole out?

Last edited by Eric Dishong; 04-25-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Is it the old converter or new one? Just put the bolts in but don't tighten them and see if it lines up.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Dishong
So i tried turning the coverter over 90 degrees at a time and i did it way more the 4 times and there is still one whole off. How bad woould it be if i drilled the whole out?
You need a Magnum t/c. I ran into this doing a Magnum swap into my 91 d150. The LA TC has an offset bolt pattern, the Magnum has a 90 degree bolt pattern. They also moved the balancing weights from the TC to the flexplate on the Magnum engines. Make sure you get a neutral balanced TC or it'll eat pump seals, rear main seals and eventually it'll eat up the rear main bearing on the crank from excessive vibration. The 360 (5.9) is externally balanced and the Magnum and LA 360s are not interchangeable the weights are different. Do not mix parts from a 5.2 or a 3.9 as they are internally balanced.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM
Eric Dishong

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
You need a Magnum t/c. I ran into this doing a Magnum swap into my 91 d150. The LA TC has an offset bolt pattern, the Magnum has a 90 degree bolt pattern. They also moved the balancing weights from the TC to the flexplate on the Magnum engines. Make sure you get a neutral balanced TC or it'll eat pump seals, rear main seals and eventually it'll eat up the rear main bearing on the crank from excessive vibration. The 360 (5.9) is externally balanced and the Magnum and LA 360s are not interchangeable the weights are different. Do not mix parts from a 5.2 or a 3.9 as they are internally balanced.
Do you have a part number for the magnum? Or what should i look for when trying to find it? Thanks for the info its the best ive had so far

Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Eric Dishong

Originally Posted by Moparite
Is it the old converter or new one? Just put the bolts in but don't tighten them and see if it lines up.
Its a rebuilt one that came with the truck along with a few other spare parts so im not sure where it came from. The old t/c was bad

Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You have the wrong torque converter, or flexplate. Things changed in 96...... on the older trucks, the balance weights for the 360 were on the torque converter, on the newer trucks, they were on the flexplate.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:35 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You have the wrong torque converter, or flexplate. Things changed in 96...... on the older trucks, the balance weights for the 360 were on the torque converter, on the newer trucks, they were on the flexplate.
+1 my bad, I forgot 95/96 was the change of weights dunno why Dodge did it. If you didn't do anything with your flex plate and it's original. Then you need a different TC. If you have your old TC you could look at it and see if it was weighted. And probably compare them next to each other and see what bolt pattern you have. It's hard to tell just looking without something to compare it to. Or you could make a stencil with cardboard. I bought my TC from http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/t...27_518_46r.htm
So far I've had no problems with mine.

Quick Reply: Torque converter will only line 3 bolts